• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pan Gasket

2001Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So i have a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4. I went to get my oil changed today and also a oil leak checked out. They said at the shop it was a oil pan gasket and it would cost $717. So I decided not to do it. I got home and looked myself and I'm wondering how in the heck it cost $717. Its not like I need to take the whole oil pan out just the lower half which is simply held on by some bolts. I can see I'll have about 4 or 5 in to work with putting in the new oil pan gasket, but i see on the forums people saying take the engine out and everything. My question is why? I don't see how I would need to raise the engine at all. My other question is what's the ban behind the oil pan? I noticed something dripping from there too. Its about 8 or 9 in away from the oil pan and is just held on by like 6 bolts.

Pan behind oil pan:
Oil Pan:

Last edited:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
First off, congratulations on your first post and welcome to the forum.

2ndly, this is the 2.9L forum. That looks to me like the bottom of a SOHC 4.0.

And for your answer,
That is not necessarily your oil pan, more like a cover. Look higher, the upper aluminum half of the oil pan is probably where the leak is. But here's the kicker, it's also all the main caps for the crankshaft journals. And yes, engine removal is necessary, as well as an experienced tech.

And the other pan, that's your transmission pan. Not knowing that, you probably shouldn't be wrenchin on your truck without supervision.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
"And the other pan, that's your transmission pan. Not knowing that, you probably shouldn't be wrenchin on your truck without supervision." :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals