• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 2.9 won't start

bottlesncans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
was running great all day... went to hit the key to head home, and the fuel pumps weren't turning on.. i do believe there are two pumps, correct me if i'm wrong. 2 weeks ago i was driving out of town and it died on me then wouldn't start for 45 minutes.. i rocked it jumping up into the engine bay, heard some clicking and the fuel pumps turned back on.. hit the key and rolled.. any idea what this could be? actually had to get a wrecker this time after an hour. any help would be greatly appreciated.. i'm not very mechanically inclined, i can replace parts.. other than that.. i don't know much. again, thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would start with the fuel pump relay.
Should be on passenger side wheel well.

Relay should click(on) when key is turned on then click(off) again a second or two later.
Fuel pumps(yes there are two) come on for a second or two when key is turned on, then not again until engine is running.

Fuel pump relay is a common issue.

There is also an inertia switch behind the passengers kick panel, these can fail, it is suppose to shutoff power to fuel pumps if vehicle is involved in a crash.
There is a reset button on the top, these usually don't reset on their own, so it doesn't quite fit your first failure, relay does.

Last edited:

bottlesncans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron, I'll check that out. how do i know which relay is for the fuel pump? looks like all wires and fuseable links over there.. i checked the inertia switch.. even bypassed it temporarily just to be sure that it's not the problem. when i put it in the on position, i don't hear any clicking.. so i reckon i'll get a relay today. i'll keep you posted.. i'm just hoping it's not the computer. a buddy of mine was hooking an amplifier up for me and he carelessly let the hot wire ground out, that's the only thing i can think of that's happened since it ran.. it was sitting for a few hours during that period and when i went to take off, nothing. we'll see.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_1of3.JPG

Note that the PCM relay HAS to energize for the Fuel Pump relay to energize. You can tell the PCM relay is working by seeing the Check Engine Light come on when you turn the key to Run. Not certain 87 has the CEL light, but if so, that pertains.

Fuel pump relay is commonly bundled with the PCM relay on the PS forward fender area, under the hood. PCM relay base is colored tan and the fuel pump relay's base is green.

Welcome to the Ranger Station!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hot wire grounding out probably blew a fuse, if possible check the fuses in the "power box" with an OHM meter, 0ohms = good fuse
Eyeballing a fuse doesn't always work.
Also check the in cab fuses, there are a few there that can disable ignition.

bottlesncans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, replaced the relay.. still nothing. guess i'll check the fuses.. the check engine light does come on when the key is in the on position. i'll check it out and let you know.. i got a buddy who's a little bit more mechanically inclined than i am, and he's an electrician.. so maybe he'll have all the tools to check everything out. he'll be here tonight if nothing else. thanks.

txrangr1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I had a similar problem with my 87. Check the brown relay (ecm relay) and sounds like you already changed the green relay (fuel pump relay). They should be on passenger side fender near fire wall. My problem ended up being the ECM was fried. You can test that fuel pump relay by jumping the two wires in the plug to make sure the fuel pumps aren't fried. I just have to remember which wires it is. I think one is a yellow wire which is main power from ECM relay and the other I think is pink with black tracer. Check the inertia switch located near the passengers feet in the cab on the firewall and make sure it isn't tripped or faulty.

bottlesncans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
alright, got all the fuses checked.. relays and fuses are good. relays have been replaced. still no fuel and no spark. maybe it's the icm? ugh.. beating myself in the head over this.
not literally, but you guys get it. just can't afford to keep putting money into this thing to find out that it's not the problem. any other ideas?

firebomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
quick question is it running the starter when you hit the key with the battery charged? if not check the starter solenoid or starter relay.could pull a spark plug and let some one crank it to see if you got hot spark which will be a white or blue color to the spark ark any yellow or red to it it mite be the icm or the coil. if not after cranking the engine you can test for fuel by depressing the fuel test port in on the fuel rail. real quick in and out.

but and big but here the fuel is pressurized and can get you in the eyes so take caution about doing it this way not to get it in your eyes or all over. stay back from the test port wile pushing it in etc.. etc.. ware goggles etc .. you really should not do it this way. and should use a fuel pressure tester instead when you do it this way not sure if you got one. but could test see if your getting fuel at the rail if done a couple times? this way if needed but do the spark test first. done want a fire.

by the way i think the pressure is 40 some psi so keep in mind not to get squirted... all you need to do is crank the ignition shut it off get out and and push in the valve core with a small pen point after the ignition is off see if any fuel comes out this is if the engine is rotating but not starting. at that point it is either fuel or spark then i know on my truck i don't here the fuel pump very often ...

any ways hope this input helps but please be careful...

bottlesncans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
replaced the icm last night, a friend of mine suggested thats what it is, still not working.. and when he was taking the old one off he snapped it.. so i can't return the new one to autozone, waste of 50 bucks lol. when i hit the key, no fuel on the rail.. well, nothing comes out. and still no spark. i just don't know what else it could be. i think when i get the spark fixed maybe it'll fix my fuel problem at the same time?

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
start at checking the small ground wire from the battery, it has a connector that tends to fail often

not sure if the following ties in with Psychopete's advice:

1) disconnect the negative battery cable,

2) disconnect the wire harness at the ecm,

3) check for continuity between the negative battery cable clamp and wires(pin numbers) 20, 40, and 60 on the ecm wiring harness.

if one (or more) of these ecm to ground wires are not reaching ground properly then parts/systems, such as the fuel pump relay and ignition system, that rely on the ecm for an operational ground will not function.

firebomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
"huh" is right i was looking at a wiring diagram of that truck a 1987 for ranger with the 2.9 L. any ways was wondering if it could be the neutral safety switch is why i read the book on it. any ways i don't think it can be the neutral safety switch. after looking at the book diagram i am leaning towards. is if you off road a lot since it is a 4x4 is the ecm. reason they get jarred around a lot and then don't function after a while. but the grounds are another thing to check the truck is how many years old so corrosion on wires most of all negative wire are not uncommon.

i think it was pin 22 of the ecm that went right to the fuel pump relay and you should be getting power on that pin even if it is brief 12 volts for a couple second you may be able to read it once the engine key is turned on. so if your not seeing it there it has to be the ecm not firing so either the grounds mentioned above or a broken ecm... ecm is the engine control module it would be the only way for multiple systems to go down at once. any ways best of luck to you hope it all works out...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals