• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Time for exhaust, suggestions?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got a strange noise from my truck today. Turns out my rear exhaust hangar is broken. Been planning to replace the exhaust for a while now, but kept putting it off. Now that I need to replace a <$20 part, I think its time to replace it.

1999 Ranger
Extended cab
4.0L with torque cam and headers
Auto
4x4
190k miles, 10k on motor

Not really after loud. Want a nice tone kind of deep and mellow. Not sure about dual rear or single side. Kind of leaning towards side for the price, dial exit seems to be twice as much. On summit I've seen Gibson, JBA, Magnaflow, and Flowmaster. Not sure how any of them sound and my computer speakers suck for that. I'm sure there are probably more options elsewhere but I'm not sure where to look. Any suggestions?

Also does anyone offer a bolt in high flow cat for these? My truck only has the after the y pipe. Don't know that I need to replace mine, but if I do I'd rather go high flow if available. Dad says he knows how to test it with a vacuum gauge and I'm going to get him to show me next time I'm at his house.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you need stacks....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's been a long day, lol.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well that's one idea, but...

A) I don't really want to cut holes in my toneau cover
B) I don't think it would work too good with the camper shell
C) I'm already trying to get rid of holes in the bed of another truck

I can definitely understand the long day as you can probably see from the time of this post. Still thanks for taking the time to reply.

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know yours is ways older than mine but I doubt there's any bolt-in Y pipes of any sort unless somebody has an off-road one.

My truck is a ways from running but I'm doing exhaust on it too, bought the Dynomax pipes (from their kit), and found a Hooker "Super Competition" turbo muffler for $25 on ebay, so I'm gonna try it out.

I was also not looking for loud and figured a turbo muffler was the way to go (I did briefly consider a chambered muffler like a Hooker Aerochamber because I do like the sound they give you). I've had Flowmasters on other vehicles and they get annoying, and my Mustang is pretty loud anyway, I figure I should have one vehicle that's a little more mellow, and that won't piss off my neighbors when I'm letting it warm up on winter mornings.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know yours is ways older than mine but I doubt there's any bolt-in Y pipes of any sort unless somebody has an off-road one.
:icon_confused:Not looking for a Y-pipe, just a cat back. I'm just looking for a cat back system and possibly a high flow cat if I need to replace it which I doubt. My 99 did not come with cats in the Y-pipe and and it is already pretty dang free flowing (was actually surprised by that) so no need to replace it.

Thanks for the recommendation. My 84 2.8L had header back duals with turbo mufflers and it sounded good, but it also had cats removed (20+ years ago before I owned it) and was replaced by a local exhaust shop so I got no idea what brand they were or how a single would sound with converter. I want to go with a complete bolt-in system without swapping mufflers around.

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I saw "high flow cat" and was thinking Y pipe, my 2009 has cats on both head pipes and another after it merges together.

Anyway- if you're wanting a complete bolt in system why not look at what Dynomax has? Like I said I bought the pipes separately, but they have complete cat-back systems with either a Super Turbo or an Ultra Flo (which is straight through oval case, perforated core, and glass packed). What I heard of the Super Turbo systems sounded nice on youtube.

TxDarth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused:Not looking for a Y-pipe, just a cat back. I'm just looking for a cat back system and possibly a high flow cat if I need to replace it which I doubt. My 99 did not come with cats in the Y-pipe and and it is already pretty dang free flowing (was actually surprised by that) so no need to replace it.

Thanks for the recommendation. My 84 2.8L had header back duals with turbo mufflers and it sounded good, but it also had cats removed (20+ years ago before I owned it) and was replaced by a local exhaust shop so I got no idea what brand they were or how a single would sound with converter. I want to go with a complete bolt-in system without swapping mufflers around.
Josh, maybe I can payback for the rear brakes ...just put a MagnaFlow 2 1/4 1 in two out on my truck last week (V6 Auto) - bad move! The tail pipes come out the back as a good Texas truck should. The problem is resonance at low rpm ~2000 is driving me crazy. I guess I will have to put inline resonators on each side now to see if that will help. :beer:

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For deep and mellow but not too loud, Gibson is the way to go. Got mine online for about $350 bucks and it's stainless. I love it.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ghunt81,
A turbo muffler may be pretty loud. It counts on some of the exhaust noise being quieted by the turbo. Have you installed it yet?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whatever you do go stainless.

I need to put my third set of glasspacks in my dd, they rust and fall apart. Steel is steel, a turbo muffler or whatever else would be the same. I have a set of SS Magnapacks but I am unsure if I want to put them into this truck or save them for my Ranger.

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put an aluminized muffler on mine but I'm sure it won't last too long, it had rust inside it when I took it out of the box. Oh well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals