• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

6" coils, mount beams to upper or lower bracket holes?

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will be installing a skyjacker lift kit soon on my 94 explorer. The axle drop brackets have the choice of two mounting points, and I plan on running 6" coils. Skyjacker suggests mounting the axle to the lower hole with the 6" or 8" coils, but I've seen pictures and read tech articles on here where people are using the upper hole with 6" coils to help with the steering angles. I can see how mounting the axle to the top hole creates less stress on the pitman arm and also provides some extra ground clearance.

My question is, will it align better with the brackets in the top or bottom hole using 6" coils? I currently have 2" skyjacker coils with stock brackets and the camber bushings are adjusted as far as they go on a TTB. If I install the skyjacker brackets by the upper (4") hole, wouldn't my alignment remain about the same after the 6" coils are installed? Just looking for any information so I can get it aligned properly.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Every vehicle is a little different.

With Skyjacker 6" coils, chances are pretty good you should be able to align it with the axle mounted in the upper holes, since yours is among those that are a little heavier (I see a 4-door Ex in your pic).

There have also been times it will align better after putting a 3rd hole on the cast bracket for the passengerside beam in between the two holes that are there (and mounting that side of the axle there), but this should be considered on a case-by-case basis.
(for some unknown reason Skyjacker has the holes on that side positioned a little different than the holes on the bracket for the driverside axle beam)

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I figured there wasn't a definite answer since all trucks vary by weight. Just out of curiousity, if you were to install this kit on a 4 door, what hole would you mount the axle by? I'm hoping it will work either way. But if one way is better for the steering than the other, then I'll definitely mount it that way.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would try the upper holes first, as it's definitely easier to get the steering sorted out 100% with it there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals