• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Big tire noob

blurple93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So my little 93 2wd XLT came with the 14inch wheels and the previous owner decided to wrap them in 185/65 R14s. I just could not let that stand. After cruising craigslist for 3 months now I finally found a guy selling Jeep Grand Cherokee Wheels with the adapters that he took off the same model ranger when he bought it because he wanted the 14s. At $125 for 5 wheels and tires i just could not pass it up for a set of 16s. The tires are 245/75 R16s, but with the space from the adapters, they fit and run quite nice, no rubbing or anything.

I have never put a tire this big on a ranger before. Just wondering what to be cautious about. SHould i be worried about the added weight affecting the Power Steering? Is there a tuner out there or something I can use to get my speedometer accurate again? Is there any chance in hell that the spare will fit under the truck?

I'll try to upload a picture, but my internet connection is horrid out to sea (In the Navy). Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

blurple93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if the pictures are working. If not, I posted an album.

Last edited:

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
1993 is a mechanical speedo. You need to change the gear . See this tech article: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Speedogear.shtml

Power steering shouldn't be an issue. As long as it clears and you're not going to scrape the wheel wells if you bottom out, I wouldn't be worried. Oh, and if you're using adapters, make sure the studs are still long enough (unless you want a loose wheel, not).

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals