• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ranger 2.3 l broken timing belt Need to line everything back up!

MikeS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
broke the timing belt on my 96 2.3l dismantled it and could only find marks for the cam and oil pump pulley. How do I know that the crank is back at top dead center before I put the belt back on? how many times does the crank spin in relation to the cam? 2 to one? I got everything back to gether and it still didnt start bucked like it was 180 out , dissassembled and reindexed crank one complete revolution and reassembled still bucking bad and wont start
. any Help would be great
Mike

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Have you even looked at this post:

Immediately underneath yours? (right now, anyway)

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86520

Even has pictures to cut the number of 1,000 word paragraphs/sentences.

In it somewhere, it likely states the crankshaft is at TDC when the keyway is at 12:00.

The cam turns one time for every 2 revolutions of the crankshaft, SO the crankshaft will be at 12:00 two times as the camshaft turns one time.
Look at that post, and the 75 additional posts, and you may find enough information to get your machine back together & functional.

MikeS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Back runnig! Here was the problem!

got the 2.3 back in time , crank pulley at tc on indicator piston topped out in #1 cylinder, the problem was is that there were two sets of marks on the cam and oil pump pulleys a triangle and a diamond! Make sure you have the correct mark lined up to the corresponding timing mark on the inside of the timing cover backing plate!
made all the difference in the world!
Happy again .
:yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals