• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Re-introduction to me and my truck.

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
It's been some time since I was "active" on this board, but with the arrival of some new shoes on my truck, the passion has been reignited. I doubt anyone here remembers me, but using a pic from my original intro thread might help to show I'm not totally new here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29142

I did have a bunch already typed up, but I don't feel like retyping it since I lost it when I bumped the back button on my mouse...

At any rate, I got tired of falling almost all of the way into pot holes around here from the pitiful tire size previously on my truck to the point where I needed a GPS to find my way out so I started looking around on the net to remedy the horrible wheel and tire to wheel well ratio.

Three weeks ago, I started with this, a humble 94 Ranger with 205/70 on 14" deer hoofs. Normally the truck sat slightly lower thanks to old springs, but I had started jacking the thing up before deciding to take a before pic, so I let it back down:

After the 2" $40 leveling kit for an F350 that said it would fit my truck. I went this route instead of the tech library route because of not having the energy to run around to track everything down, especially the bolt for the radius arm (this kit came with stud extenders).:

My wife didn't see the point in me doing all of this considering I was hoping to buy an '01-03 ext. cab 4x4 Ranger next spring and give this truck to my nephew, but realistically I know what my credit score is like. 2 Fridays ago I ordered 4 black Cragar Soft 8's, 15x8, 4" backspace and 2 sets of center caps from Summit ($58.32 each, free shipping for all of it). Reason for the 2 sets of caps is the black Cragar center caps had an expected ship date of the 2nd week in December and I wasn't going to put them on without center caps, so $3.60 each it was for a set of Black Rock caps. Monday afternoon when I got home from work they were on the door step, so big kudos to the people at Summit!

This past Friday I got off of work early so I tried to beat the after work rush to the Tire Rack in South Bend, but it was too late. Apparently, according to the inventory manager, the last two weeks have been a mad house after the snow fall in Buffalo, NY. Now we don't get that kind of snow, but we do get a fair amount here. I paid for my tires at 11:15am and was informed I had a 5-6 hour wait so I came home, showered, played a couple hours of CoD AW with some friends and headed back out. I ended up pulling into the install bay, giving the bay manager my odo reading and he started going over my purchase order. "31x10.5 15" General Grabber AT2.. are those going to fit in there?" I assured him I had made no less than 100 measurements/double checks before buying anything and had done a test fit of the wheels. I didn't leave Tire Rack until 9pm that night, but it was all worth it when I look out the window to see my truck...

Even with the rust and only being 2WD, it looks awesome to me. I like how now it's about an inch to an inch and a half higher than my wife's 98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD.

But, what I do not like the tire to wheel well clearance, so my next purchase is going to be either a 4" or 5" lift. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the 5.5" though. When that happens, those leveling spacers in the front are coming out, I do not like the way the springs sit on them. Also I'm moving to the 95-97 front spindles because my current spindles/brake caliper brackets have taken a tremendous beating to the point where the inside pads no longer sit snug causing them to grab harder than intended at times.

Since my last round of activity on the board the truck has almost hit 235k miles, I've removed the stupid low trans crossmember and installed one of the earlier ones that sits higher and does not use bushings. I've also replaced the half rusted core support, changed all of the dry rotted cab bushings out for poly units, changed both front turn signals and got tired of sanding the old headlights to be able to see in the dark (paid ~$75 shipped for Depot brand headlights and not sure what brand turn signals on Amazon using my prime subscription), put a basic tonneau cover on the bed, built 2 small boxes for some old 10" subs I had around here and put them behind the seats and powered them with an old 250? watt MTX amp that lives under the passenger seat, swapped out the old Pioneer CD deck with burned out bulbs for a plain Kenwood with iPod in and changed the door and rear speakers for some coaxials out of my parts car.

Headlights:

As for my car that a couple people had commented on liking in my first intro thread, the cruel Texas sun had its way with the paint and one of my friends works for a company called Newmar painting some of their $1m motorhomes offered to paint it.

Before:

Heading off to the paint booth:

After (yes, my garage is a mess...)

Since those pics, the car has been wet sanded smooth and I've dismantled it. Wrong order, I know, but because of time and money that's the way I've had to do it and it now sits like this:

It should be back on the road this spring with some new 18" TSW Nurburgring wheels and a built/forged engine with hopefully some positive intake pressure.

Anyways, my fingers are cramping and I've babbled long enough thanks to the copious amounts of energy drinks/coffee at work today. Thanks for reading/looking.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ah, yes, I remember you...more your bacon button than anything...lol

The Ranger will probably do better than most vehicles on the road...even though it is only 2wd...looks similar to when I first got my Ranger...I put a set of 15" rims with 225/75/15 tires (no lift) and got through where others couldn't in the snow.

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I figured it was a good idea to leave the bacon button and now I'm glad I did, lol.

Yeah, after seeing the truck with these 31's, I can certainly say I've been bitten. I'm already pricing lift kits, trying to decide between a 4.0 or 5.0 in the spring, and if I want to do this all to a new truck or continue with this one and roll with a SAS.

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Well, the truck fared well through the winter with the new shoes and never got stuck so I rewarded it with a well deserved lift this past spring. Seeing how it's got almost a quarter of a million miles I went the cheap route and got a 4" rough country lift kit and 3" body lift. I also did the newer style spindles and 2 piston calipers. I ended up getting Wagner ceramic thermoquiet pads, all new ball joints, raybestos calipers with brackets (spindles didn't come with brackets), slotted and drilled rotors and I was going to change the rag joint in the steering, but mine has the smaller joint while the replacement was too large to install. Unfortunately I found this out after disassembly of the old joint so I had to source a a new one from a local junk yard. Fortunately the new one had the u joint upper and rag lower, unlike my original that was a dual rag unit.

On with pics...

Found these on Amazon. They are centric brand that a machine shop slots and drills on a cnc machine. They ran $47/each.

Stock...

Rear blocks, u bolts, bed lifted and rear brake hose extension done.

Thank God I was upgrading the brakes, I don't think those cracks are stock or for cooling....

Finally some clearance...

Weight on the new suspension parts and done for the day. Lol@ my temporary home made tarp covered lean-to since it was supposed to to rain most of that week, which it did.

Finished up front end, tires on and sitting on the ground.

It's nice not needing to jack the thing up to change the oil or bleed brakes.

Final product.

His and hers, lol.

View from hers, lol.

Moving my parts car into the garage for decon.

The truck is still going strong and rides much better than with the little tires and stock suspension. It does wander around a little on the road and I've put a steering damper on it. I have not installed the shock boots I bought for it yet. I am getting ready to order new radius arm bushing kits and radius arm brackets since I'm getting some noise in the front end under my feet going over bumps and during braking. I'm also planning on replacing the radius arms in the near future because of the metal getting a bit thin on the old ones, even going clear through in a small spot on the drivers side. I'm also trying to figure out if I want to do just a regear or a regear and engine swap. While it gets going just fine, downshifting to go up hills kinda sucks.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Truck looks awesome! Too bad you ran over the kids' pool to get the shot though...or was that the Micheline Man under there?

Good job on the lift...:icon_thumby:

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
It was a kids pool that got forgotten about and left out and ruined. I just had not gotten around to getting it taken care of, lol. Thanks for the compliment :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals