• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C Troubleshooting

NCArt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 with a 3.0 V-6. The compressor stopped quite awhile ago but I'm finally getting to work on it. I get a constant 12v at pin 86 on the relay and seeing the schematic, that means I'm getting a constant WOT signal. If I jump pin 86 to 87a, the compressor clutch engages. I'm not getting anything from pin 30 either. Is this an indication of a bad PCM?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK a bit about auto relays
Pins 85 and 86 are the 2 wires for the coil in the relay, when power is passed thru the coil it magnetizes the metal core and pulls the relay "closed", 85 and 86 have no polarity, one needs power the other a ground for coil to magnetize, simply having 12v present doesn't close the relay, need a ground as well, and that is what the computer controls on this relay.
85 and 86 should never be hooked to 87, 87a or 30, even when testing.

Pins 87, 87a, and 30 are the Load side of the relay, when relay's coil is not powered, pins 87a and 30 are connected, 87 is disconnected.
When coil is powered, pins 87 and 30 are connected, pin 87a is disconnected.
All automotive relays follow this pin pattern

A/C Clutch is powered by WOT relay when relay is OFF, this is the opposite of most relays, WOT stands for Wide Open Throttle, so when you press the gas pedal to the floor the computer knows this from TPS(throttle position sensor) and it will then GROUND the WOT relay, by Grounding its coil, pin 86(or 85), this disconnects pin 30 from 87a and A/C clutch is off to give driver all available power at WOT.
WOT relay Off, A/C On
WOT relay On, A/C Off

WOT relay will only have power on pin 30 when A/C is selected on Dash, AND if both pressure switches pass the power to WOT pin 30.

Fuse #17(10amp)-------Dash board A/C switch-----Cycling switch--------pressure switch-------WOT pin30--WOT pin 87a----A/C clutch

Turn key on
Turn A/C switch on, test for voltage at cycling switch, should have 12v on both wires, it is just passing the voltage, then test for 12v at pressure switch, if you have voltage at both then you will have voltage at WOT pin 30.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals