• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

losing clutch fluid

mazda3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so it been loosing some fluid for a while now but it seems to do it wen ever it wants to. for example, yesterday i had to pump the clutch every time i wanted to shift and today it worked perfect, dident lose a single drop. i looked all over and cant seem to find wear its going. the master cylinder was changed 2 years ago along with the clutch and the slave and hoses were changed last year.

any ideas on whats going on. its got me puzzled

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like your slave is going. Are you actually seeing the level in the reserviour drop? Pull the rubber plug out of the view port on your bell housing and reach up there with your finger and feel the bottom of the inside. If you find brake fluid....its time to pull the tranny.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
mines been doing this lately too, but i am losing fluid slowly (i fill add 1/4" or twice a week, when it gets really cold) and i can see brake fluid residue on the quick connector, so im thinking its the o-ring, maybe it has a tear or is shrinking when its really cold out? its annoying, but i hope it makes it through the winter as i dont want to deal with it right now.

mazda3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm hopeing its not the slave, i got that changed in the summer. it does lose a fair amount of fluid wen it starts to act up. mine seems to bee doing it wen its cold to (colder then like -15ish). i was talking to a guy here today and he said that it could be the o ring. ill crawl under the truck tomorrow and try to see if i can find were the leak is. can that o ring be changed without pulling the trany?

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
The O ring can be changed without pulling the tranny.

I suspect your trouble is , not that you are loosing fluid but you have air in the system.

I went thru this until I found the video that showed how to bench bleed the system and get the trapped air that hides in that crooked mess of line beside the frame rail

mazda3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im almost sure its not air. ive put close to 3 containers of brake fluid in it since it started doing this. i should of filled that void by now.

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
my 88 is doing the same thing and i was told i needed a new slave

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
it did it to me again this morning, it was 1*F outside and when i depressed the clutch to engage the neutral saftey switch it felt fine, but after letting it warm up for 5 min i pushed in the clutch and put it into gear and as soon as i started to let out the clutch it just lunged and then stalled out. i pumped it a few times, but didnt get any pressure so i popped the hood, removed the resevoir cap, then pumped it a few times and the pressure was restored. i refilled the resevoir to the step and reinstalled the cap and made the trip to work without any troubles from the clutch. how annoying this is becoming!

mazda3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it is very annoying and it seems to come and go. like the other day was the first time it leaked in over a month. i used it all day today and it dident leak a drop. i was gonna crawl under the truck today and try to find the leak but i had way to much stuff to do so ill try to get under there tomorrow. it better not be my dam slave going again. ive changed it twice in the 3 years ive had the truck.

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
mine is probably the slave because its about 8 years old. And i was told by my buddy that owns a garage that it was the slave:icon_twisted:

mazda3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the last few times my slave went it was more of a constant lose of fluid and it got worse the more i used it lol. this tends to act up wen it gets cold outside

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
going on 2 days with out an incident, it was about 15*f this morning when i drove to work, but i let it warm up for 10-15 min while i was in the shower.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
So i did an oil change on the ranger yesterday and while i was under there i pulled the inspection plug on bell housing and was able to confirm that my slave cylinder IS leaking..... damnit.

mazda3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dam that sucks. ive got my fingers crossed that my slave isent shot

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
it is very annoying and it seems to come and go. like the other day was the first time it leaked in over a month. i used it all day today and it dident leak a drop. i was gonna crawl under the truck today and try to find the leak but i had way to much stuff to do so ill try to get under there tomorrow. it better not be my dam slave going again. ive changed it twice in the 3 years ive had the truck.
What brand Slave did you use?
dam that sucks. ive got my fingers crossed that my slave isent shot
the fluid is coming from somewhere? did you check the inspectionhole on the tranny? did you feel along the firewall for fluid? check the fitting at the line and slave?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals