• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help needed, blowing water out of radiator cap

Moosinatrix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
fully rebuilt motor, used n/a head (because a friend scrapped wrong head)ran fine for 300 mi or so til the line to the wastegate blew off, over boosted to 12 PSI and blew head gasket.

changed head gasket 3 times to no avail.

bought new head (turbo this time), had its decked cuz of a guage in it.
put it on, but this time i used a Fel Pro cyldinder head spacer/shim instead of a head gasket. The shim is solid copper and i applied 3 coats of copper spray gasket to it.

(everything i read about using this spacer/shim say that a head gasket is not necessary when using these, and majority of those who use it have run them with and without the head gasket most said it made no difference, and a few said using with a head gasket made it easier to to have a blown head gaske cuz of the added material between block and head coupled with the fact that there were seperate layers)

i know my rings are good they are brand new, the cylinder head dowel pins were beatup from changing over from one head to the other, but head lined up and went on fine.

i followed proper torque pattern tightening the bolts, and torqued them all in sequence to 90 ft-lbs (80 ft-lbs on the front 2, this is what my literature said was correct) and then came back and added 90* on all of them in sequence...

Did i torque the head properly?????

I ran the engine until it reach operating temp and let it continue running until i noticed the temperature going up. as the tem,perature climbed, the radiator cap ittermittantly bled pressure off pressure but under load it is constant.

I am now going at it again getting under the valve cover to retorque head bolts after the heat cycle (as literature perscribed) just wondering how i check for 90 ft-lbs if there was an added 90* past 90 ft-lbs? Wouldnt my torque be exceeding 90 ft-lbs after the 90*???

Any Ideas and Help would be greatly appreciated!!! I really need my truck back and life has gotten very hard since it went down.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals