• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Eaton m90 on a 2.3

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Ok guys someone may have already posted this here once but in my googling it hasnt came up here.

So i got a m90 from a 3.8 pontiac v6 for free and i want to smack it on my 2.3.
Aside from the need of forged internals im trying to come up with a way to manage everything.
I know its gonna make alot of boost being 2.3 its tiny compared to tge 3.8.
So i thought of sticking a waste gate in there some where to keep boost set right along with pully dia's. So my concern is engine management its an 88 obd1 setup so any ideas would help. Fyi this is just spitballing here so dont beat me over the head sayin im dumb i already kniw i am lol

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
The eaton M90 isthe perfect size for a boost happy 2.3. The combination of the crank pully and supercharger pully determin boost and with the number of stock and aftermarket parts out there for the m90 and m112 I am sure you can find a combo to meat your desired boost level. I wouldn't mess with trying to install a waste gate on a SC set up.

I would guess starting with a forced induction ECU out of a SVO or turbo coupe would be the best way to go and have it tuned for the blower. Your definitely going to need bigger injectors and a fuel pump to feed them.

You may get away with running your stock bottom end with low boost. But your definitely not going to be able to take full advantage of that supercharger until you have a forged bottom end. The GTPs ran any where from 6-11psi stock depending on year, model and package.

To limit your boost level all you would need to do is start with a larger pully then the stock 3.8 inch. A 4.00 inch upper pully with a GTP sized crank pully should produce around 5.5 pounds of boost. If your crank pully is slightly larger then the stock GM crank pully it would produce even less boost and you could just adjust your upper pully to set your boost level. Remember the M90 cam on a ton of 4 cylinder cars to include the cobalt SS and was a factory upgrade package for the Z24 cav. There are tons of pully options out there for this supercharger and they are known to be very reliable.

Last edited:

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Sweet thanks for the info man and sorry for the fat finger post lol and this setup might be a little poged together sc stickin out tge hood lol

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
You can off set the blower so it's mounted above the exhaust manifold. This allows you to have access to the valve cover and extra room for a air to air or air to water intercooler. Once again you will still be very limited since the stock bottom end is very limited.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Well the plan is to get another block and build it using 2.3t stock type parts but this m90 is the ki d that sits on the intake it doesn't have piping.. :/ this is gonna be Winter project once the shop is cleaned up a bit

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
It's not hard to make a mounting plate and do the plumbing. You could possibly mount it on the drivers side as well but you have tons of options. Good call going with the turbo internals it should be able to handle that M90 with no issues. With a good intercooler that blower can support 300 horsepower with out being overworked.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Thats sounds awesome i just picked up an 89 2.3 for 50$ its gonna need tore down obviously. But right now im just pondering management because im not sure how what i have now works. As far as only having a IAC in the intake line and such.

What i came up with was to use a stinger performance pimp xs compooper. Which has a internal map sensor but idk what all else ill need to add to it to make it happy

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, this was clearly a long time ago, but have you seen MY Ranger? I put an Eaton M90 on my 2.3 liter Ranger many years ago. There's info in the archives here.

Last edited:

TotalPozerRaceing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay, this was clearly a long time ago, but have you seen MY Ranger? I put an Eaton M90 on my 2.3 liter Ranger many years ago. There's info in the archives here.
Do you have a link? I'm interested in doing the same for my Ranger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals