• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CTS and knock sensor

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
I think I stupidly wired the knock sensor to the CTS. :annoyed:Could someone please tell me where each is located so I can correct this,? I have no manual. I think the CTS is in between injector 2 and 3. (Where I wired the knock sensor) Thanks!

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
CTS.......??

Coolant temp sensor?
called ECT sensor

Good look here, look at the 16th diagram down: http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c152800694f6
It has the ECT and Knock sensors marked, along with others
Yes...ECT. That diagram helped a lot, but my lower intake is just a little bit different. My ACT and what I'm assuming/hoping is the knock sensor are both located on the back send of the lower intake. (I can't figure out what else the other sensor could be. Just screws into the manifold with no hole right above the ACT. I did have the CTS and what I hope is the knock sensor mismatched with one another. I really can't find any other diagram than the one you provided. It shows the knock sensor boss in a different location. I have nothing there except a flat, machined area with no hole.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What car is the 2.3l turbo out of?

'83'-'89 Mustangs had Knock sensor
'83-'88 T-birds had knock sensor

Tomco has a PDF with Knock sensor by vehicle and then cross-reference number with a Picture of the sensor, it might help you ID it.
Look here: http://www.tomco-inc.com/Catalog/knock sensors.pdf

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The motor is from a 1988 Turbo Coupe. I just took it for a test drive and it's running considerably better, but I'm still unsure if what I wired up as the knock sensor is actually the knock sensor. If it is; it's in a really stupid place to put one. (Right above the ACT on the lower intake.)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Knock Sensor is usually on the Head or Block, but as long as it has a direct connection to the metal on either it should function as designed.
2.3l could have extra mechanical noise so head or block didn't work as well, that might explain the upper intake mounting point in the diagram.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The knock sensor is in a really strange location that doesn't make any sense, the air temp sensor you are talking about is in the #3 intake runner, and should look like it's threading in deep enough to get into the air stream, the knock sensor is mounted out further and in a boss on the intake that looks like it wouldn't be in the intake flow, because it isn't.

Why I say it is in a strange location is it is way out from crank center and susceptible to other noise like Ron said...

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The knock sensor is in a really strange location that doesn't make any sense, the air temp sensor you are talking about is in the #3 intake runner, and should look like it's threading in deep enough to get into the air stream, the knock sensor is mounted out further and in a boss on the intake that looks like it wouldn't be in the intake flow, because it isn't.

Why I say it is in a strange location is it is way out from crank center and susceptible to other noise like Ron said...
My air temp sensor and knock sensor seem to be by #4 cylinder, back by the firewall, which makes me wonder if I've done something wrong. The lower of the two protrudes into the intake and has a small basket with a wire inside, (Air temp?) and the upper one does not protrude. It's just mounted into the casting with no hole through. (Knock sensor I guess?) I found a photo. A picture is worth 1000 words. Maybe this will look familiar.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals