• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 2.3 turbo 4x4

Superberry111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi i have a 88 ranger 2.9 4x4 and am very interested in putting my 2.3turbo engine in it. what wiring harness do i need the TC or should i just get a stand alone system or the pimp mangement system. Price really isnt a huge issue and also i found a m5od trans for the 2.3 but no transfer case will my factory transfercase work on the m5od

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Your existing transfer case will work provided the M5OD you bought is the rare 4x4 version of the 4cyl trans. Otherwise you will have to get the parts to convert it to 4x4.

Superberry111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes it is the 4x4 one its from a 1990 ranger but didnt come with transfer case

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
THAT trans is worth good money should you decide not to use it. Yes, the 1350/1354 transfer cases will bolt up, but you may need different linkage for it if it's a manual shift TC. I seem to remember the A4ld linkage with the manual shift TC works on the M5OD. (I have one). The FM145 and FM146 linkage is a little different than the A4LD/M5OD geometry. Depending on your overall power goals, the stock LA3 or LB3 ECU and harness will work to get you started, if you want to do significant power increases you may want to consider Pimp or Megasquirt based standalone systems. Getting away from the VAM is beneficial, and with MS1extra or better, wideband O2 and Mapdaddy chip you can do so.

Superberry111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well that is my other proublem because i feel like my motor is going to over power my trans. my motor should make around 350-400 at 18 psi and i dont see any upgrades for the m5od .... i have a custom ground cam .020 forged pistons extensive porting and polishing on the head and intakes and manifold.. turbo has been fullly rebuilt and a few other goodies .....so is there enough upgrades trans wise to have a 400hp street rig? that isnt going to blow apart everytime i get into it

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
be easy on it (like no 4k+ clutch dumps or heavily boosting in 5th) and it should last for a pretty good amount of time. You upgrade the gearing to 4.0l close ratio stuff to make a slightly stronger m5od.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals