• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger 2.9 fuel problem

ddman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
we have had this truck for years and years, been a great little truck. now we are having issues with fuel we think. ran fine one day next day cranks but wont start, pulled a plug and its getting fire, pushed the stratter valve and fuel shot out of it. now, before we had to run a wire to the pump on the rail to a toggle switch then to the battery. and when you turned on the pump you could hear it run real easily, no it like makes a gurggleing sound. thought maybe it was out of gas, so we put a gallon in it and made no differencein the sound. checked all the fuses, and bought a new relay and tried it, no difference. found the inertia switch and reset it, nothing worked. im wondering if the pump in the tank could have went bad and isn't pumping any fuel to the second pump?

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you multimeter the relay, from the sound of it gurgling isn't right!
Also fuel filter is a common issue; all the shops I worked at had a rule oem pumps only, so you made darn sure before writing the order... Test it all!

What's the fuel pressure? Free gauge rental from vato-zone. It's not something to guess at.

ddman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i took the air intake hose off this afternoon and squirted a little shot of gas up into it and cranked it and it back fired a few times. now im wondering if may be it has jumped time? ill chek fuel pressure in the morning, and if it is ok ( I think it should be 39 lbs?) ill get the number one piston up to tdc and pull the cap and see where my rotor is. now the question is is the 87-88 2.9 an interference engine? thanks for your help.

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same type problem about two years ago and found that the fuel pump relay connection was full of corrosion. I bought a new relay, cleaned the connection prongs and it's worked fine ever since.

ddman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ill be getting some time off tomarrow and Monday, we lost the adapter for the ford that came with our pressure gauge, first im going to check and see that the injectors are getting 12 volts and then check to see if it is getting signal on the ground wire. if it is then ill change the filter. the only fuses I can find is the fuse box inside the truck, does this have one out under the hood? I know where the relays are located, there is three of them, one is a green one, isthat the fuel pumps? and also can you cross the pins in the relay connector and make the pump in the tank come on? if so can anyone post a detailed pic of which pins you can cross? thanks guys for the replies so far.

Benjamin.jacob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im having the same problem with my 87 2.3 im not hearing the fuel pump kick on

ddman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok here is what I found, pulled the number one cylinder up to top dead center, timing mark lined up with the pointer, pulled the distributor cap rotor was pointing 2 towers from number one. jumped time right? wrong. I pulled the timing cover off and crank dot and cam sprocket dot lined up, this stumped me, but while we are in there we are putting a new chain and sprockets in anyway. im not sure if we sheared the pin in the distributer gaer or if the gear itself is broke. once I sen the dots lined up I went loosened the distributor turned it to where the rotor was on the number one tower and hit the key and it started.run a bit rough do to having one plug out and not being exactly in time, but it did start and run. so the next few days will be getting chain in it, and pulling distributor to find out what happened. I work 12 hr shifts on nights and only have bout 2 hrs a day to work on it. ill check back in a little and let ya know what I find out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals