• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger New rotor doesn't match up to old one.

ScottO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I recently had the bearings go out on my 97 Ranger. I went to O'reillys and bought new rotors, bearing and bearing seals. When I get home the inner hole where the race, bearings, and seal should go into is too small for the race and especially the bearing seal. I checked the old rotor and it would fit that one, but one of the old race's are fused to the rotor. I then called the parts store, but the smaller rotor is all that they can order. Does anyone have any idea of what I should do.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go somewhere else and try their rotors.

ScottO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I checked with other places as well and they don't have the size that I need either.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Looking at Advance's website they list 3 rotors for the front of that vehicle, one for 2wd, and two for 4x4, one for 2 wheel ABS, one for 4 wheel ABS. The 4x4/4 wheel ABS rotor looks like it has significantly larger bearings than the other two.

Here is their part number: YH145059.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looking at Advance's website they list 3 rotors for the front of that vehicle, one for 2wd, and two for 4x4, one for 2 wheel ABS, one for 4 wheel ABS. The 4x4/4 wheel ABS rotor looks like it has significantly larger bearings than the other two.

Here is their part number: YH145059.
You're...my ****ing hero. People on fte won't come here, because of you. I find you amusing...a simple smack down for some idiots.

This is Facebook for smart people.

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think you got your answer, btw is it a 4x? Normally with the big box stores you have to jump around options and give them different models.

My wife's 99 vw took 2004 and freaking 93 vw pieces from vato-zone just to get the right bits, and the manager by me won't look up more than 3 before whining. They only get my patronage still because that 20 dollar freebie program and being cheap.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You're...my ****ing hero. People on fte won't come here, because of you. I find you amusing...a simple smack down for some idiots.

This is Facebook for smart people.
Thanks. I'll wager those are the same people who make me not want to go to FTE. As I have said before, I have a very peculiar, dry humor that often doesn't come through correctly in a text only version. Sometimes it doesn't come through correctly in person either.

Those parts store look ups are always the easiest thing to interpret. They often leave me scratching my head asking what is the difference when all the application notes say the exact same thing. Sometimes it's just best to go right to the website. The in-store lookup assumes a fair amount of knowledge of what is what. The website assumes you struggle figuring out how to put gas in the car. It has lots of nice pretty pictures.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Before I walk into an auto parts store, I already have the part numbers from their on-line catalog. You can even find out if they have the part in stock. :D

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You can even find out if they have the part in stock
... not with my local NAPA. Their inventory is wrong at least 50% of the time I go in there. The problem is, they are the second closest store to me. I live out in the country. So, if the Advance, right next to them doesn't have something, I go to NAPA next. It's often a waste of time. I used to think NAPA was a step above the others. My Advance store isn't great either.

If I have time to plan far enough in advance, I check them all on-line and compare to Rock Auto. Rock Auto wins the game pretty often.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Most auto-parts chains use the same ****ed-up computer software...

That coupled with a confusion between the Dana 35 Dana28/35 axle and the earlied Dana28 axle....

The ASSumption that later non 4.0 Rangers from 1991-1997 that have "Dana28 axles in the front" use the rotors with the smaller stubs , shafts and bearings of the 1983-1989
Dana 28 axle.

Did they ask you what axle ratio you have? because the reason they did is the "hybred" axle was only made in 3.45 & 4.10ratio, so if you have 3.27, 3.55 or 3.73 you have a "TRUE" Dana35.

But as your rotors have the larger bearings you have a TRUE Dana35...

Buy your rotors from Rock auto, several months ago I bought two pairs of rotors
from Rock Auto, one pair of Bendix (plain rotors) and one pair of Stop-Tech drilled sport rotors and BOTH are correct for the Non-ABS 1997 front axle I have in my Ranger....

If you were local I'd offer you the "plain" Bendix rotors for what I paid for them
They are around $40each shipped from Rock auto.

for whatever it's worth I paid less (shipped) for the drilled rotors that I could buy "stock" rotors for locally...

From Advanced, AutoZone or NAPA

Rock Auto is a sponsored vendor, so there is a "promo code" to get a discount...
and save even more money...

You must get rotors for a 1995-97 Ranger as earlier rotors (for the single piston calipers) have a different "hat" spacing.

The friction disc is moved outwards away from the steering knuckle by approximately 9mm
this was to allow more room on the knuckle for the bolted on caliper bracket...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals