• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radius arm bushing creaking and cracking?

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ranger with a 6" skyjacker lift with radius arm drop brackets, a 3" BL,and factory coil spacers off of an early 80's 1/2 ton ford. and the radius arm bushings seem to be binding i get a cracking from under the truck as i turn the wheels from lock to lock or brake hard.Looking at it from under the truck i cant see the bushings move from side to side a little and can feel the cracking noise in the frame rail and radius arm bracket. Do i need to put a reinforcement between the two brackets or get lower drop brackets because of the 1" spacers. Im pretty sure its the RA bushings cuz i had put antiseize on them and that seemed to help or when it rains it goes away. Any input would help thanks.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
make sure the radius arm mount bracket bolts are tight.

check to makes sure the radius arms to the brackets are tight.(I forget what the TQ spec is off hand)

also check the radius arm crossmember its self, the two halfs are still tight to eath other.

if still squaking

you may also have a worn out bushing.just cause the outside of the bushing looks fine dont mean the inside of it is.

if you take it down far enuff to to check out the busings, inspect the crossmemeber where the radius arm bushing go threw, it may have cracked in in that area....

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the bushings are new but there polyurethane so could that be the cause

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Poly bushings may squeak some, but they shouldn't cause cracking (clunking?) noises you can feel. I couldn't say what else it could be though if it goes away in the rain :icon_confused:

sloue

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had the same EXACT problem with my new poly bushings. i pulled them out and put a small smear of Axel grease put them back t qed down and 8o to 120 ft-lbs. fixed it. they seem to have seated in and have not had a sound out them for months.the tq specs i got from a hayens manual

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals