• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I need drop brackets?

beretta92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone. Long time lurker in need of some help. I have searched but I couldn't really find anything that fit what I was looking for. Sorry if it was right in front of my face.

I have a 92 ranger with a 3in body lift and a leveling kit in front. After I had the leveling kit done I had it aligned and it look ok. Now both sides have some positive camber. More so on the passenger side. Also they said they did some kind of double bushing for the alignment.

So I guess my question is do I need to get drop brackets for something like this? It just seems kind of on the low side of a lift.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I don't understand the double bushing part.

If you go beyond 2-inches of lift, you'll need drop brackets to get it to align correctly. There is a camber/caster bushing in each steering knuckle. You can either replace the stock one with adjustable ones, or the alignment shop can put in the bushing with the degrees it needs. With the adjustable ones, you just turn them until it comes in to specs. Camber and caster is adjusted by the same bushing.

beretta92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't understand the double bushing part.

If you go beyond 2-inches of lift, you'll need drop brackets to get it to align correctly. There is a camber/caster bushing in each steering knuckle. You can either replace the stock one with adjustable ones, or the alignment shop can put in the bushing with the degrees it needs. With the adjustable ones, you just turn them until it comes in to specs. Camber and caster is adjusted by the same bushing.
I don't get it either. That's just what the guy at the alignment shop told me. ill look into some adjustable bushings.

Its just weird because it almost seems like it wasn't aligned right or something when I got it back.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
The adjustable bushings will probably help. But take a minute and back up in a straight line 10-15 feet and see if the camber looks better, if the toe is set just a tiny bit more in than 0 when you go forward it will Jack up the front suspension.

beretta92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The adjustable bushings will probably help. But take a minute and back up in a straight line 10-15 feet and see if the camber looks better, if the toe is set just a tiny bit more in than 0 when you go forward it will Jack up the front suspension.
You mean after I get the adjustable bushing on do this?

I have never messed with these bushing before but I'm sure it cant be too hard and I'm sure there are video on it.

Thanks for the help

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
There might be videos. There is definitely a good article in the "How to tech" section of this website that talks you through the alignment.

I'm thinking that when the shop said "double bushing" they were probably referring to the adjustable bushing. Take a look. You may already have them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

beretta92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There might be videos. There is definitely a good article in the "How to tech" section of this website that talks you through the alignment.

I'm thinking that when the shop said "double bushing" they were probably referring to the adjustable bushing. Take a look. You may already have them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ill take a look at that section.

Is this it?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Yes, that's the alignment bushing on top. It looks like a 2-1/2 degree bushing. I'm pretty sure that - 2.5 degrees to + 2.5 degrees is the biggest you can get with an adjustable bushing. Also looks like it's been in there for a while. How long ago was it aligned?

Moog lists THIS adjustable alignment bushing that supposedly adjusts u to 4 degrees:

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/alsofoundin.asp?partid=MOOG-K80109

Last edited:

beretta92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that's the alignment bushing on top. It looks like a 2-1/2 degree bushing. I'm pretty sure that - 2.5 degrees to + 2.5 degrees is the biggest you can get with an adjustable bushing. Also looks like it's been in there for a while. How long ago was it aligned?

Moog lists THIS adjustable alignment bushing that supposedly adjusts u to 4 degrees:

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/alsofoundin.asp?partid=MOOG-K80109
It was aligned about 2-3 months ago. Is this something that I could do myself pretty easily or should I just take it back to the shop? From the videos I watched it doesn't seem that bad.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
How is the front lifted?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
You might want to have it checked again. Did they tell you that was as close as they can get it? You may want to mention that adjustable bushing I linked to. I'm a little puzzled because I didn't think anyone made a bushing more that 2.5 degrees, but that one says it does.

beretta92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You might want to have it checked again. Did they tell you that was as close as they can get it? You may want to mention that adjustable bushing I linked to. I'm a little puzzled because I didn't think anyone made a bushing more that 2.5 degrees, but that one says it does.
they didn't really say anything about it. after I had it done the truck kinda sat because of transmission problems. now I have everything working, its kinda my project right now. that's when I noticed this. I'll take it back in and see what they say. I'm not one to pay for them to do something if I can easily do it my self though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals