• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

STARTED missing out of the blue

David grindstaff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
STARTED missing out of the blue. Changed plugs wires and disturber cap and button. Hasn't helped it one bit. Got coil ON order b here Monday if this don't fix it what else could it be? It only has 150,000 miles but plugs looked like they had never bn changed. TOOK for ever to get them out had so much build up around them couldn't get socket on 3 of them and 2 more was almost seized up. Plugs were burnt up and killed . Inside of disturber wasnt much better rusted real bad. Also the new coil pack wire doesn't clip on like the old one and acks like it wants to slip off. If ne one has ne ideal or has had this same problem please help. Don't have a lot of cash to just keep buying parts or take to a shop. Motor ran great b4 this but don't no how because plugs were worst 've ever cn. I'm 44 and ive always done my on mechanical work. HOPE THOSE PLUGS DIDNT HURT THE MOTOR. I JUST GOT THE RANGER A FEW MONTHS AGO AND I NO THE WOMAN I GOT IT FROM REAL WELL. SHE ALWAYS TAKE CARE OF HER CARS. JUST GOES TO SHOW U THAT U CANT TRUST EVERYONE. because her mechanic was suppose to have changed all this stuff last year.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Does engine run better cold than after it warms up?
Or visa versa?
The computer that runs the fuel injection has 2 "modes"
1. Open Loop, runs factory air:fuel mix based on RPM, air flow and coolant temp, no O2 sensors
2. Closed loop, runs "calculated on the fly" air:fuel mix using RPMs, air flow and O2 sensor feedback

So engine problems when only cold or when only warm can help diagnose the problem.

On 1993 3.0l the spark is run by the TFI module, it should be remote mounted, not on distributor, the ones mounted on distributor failed more often, heat related, but TFI modules did not last forever.
Good read on them here: http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Recheck firing order on cap AND at each cylinder, I have chased my tail on reversed wires more than I would care to say, lol, even though I KNOW THEY WERE RIGHT!!!!

3.0l firing order here, along with other information: https://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/front-drive-shaft-torque-specs-119916/

Also see if there is slop in the distributor shaft, maybe have someone crank the engine while you watch the rotor to see if it has a wobble.

On the engine is the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR), it will have the Fuel Return line attached AND a vacuum hose
If FPR diaphragm starts to leak raw fuel is sucked into the intake from that vacuum line, causing misfires from over rich mix
Pull off that vacuum line and check it for gasoline

Each cylinder needs 3 things to fire
1. Compression, above 100psi
2. Spark, at the right time
3. Fuel, in correct mix with air

If you have a steady misfire, so just one cylinder is misfiring could be that fuel injector has failed
Ford fuel injectors are noisy, "tick, tick, tick"; while engine is idling use a small hose, like a vacuum line, as a stethoscope and listen to each injector for the steady "tick, tick, tick"
Seafoam, or similar injector cleaner, in the gas tank can help unclog injectors.

Obviously a compression test would be best place to start since it can't be intermittent, well very very rarely, lol.
Compression is either good or it isn't, black and white
I have wasted time and MONEY, on non-fixes, because it was a compression issue, not spark or fuel.
So if you have a compression gauge I would start there, and work up to spark or fuel related problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals