• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 WALL-E Ranger Build

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Currently: 4.56 Locked from and rear on 35x14.5 boggers
10" lift with 63" chevy leafs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
=================================================================================================================
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my first ranger build, built a 79 ford on 8" on 38.5s a long time ago and now I stick to hotrods and dragsters.

I picked this ranger up for 800$ with a blown fuel pump and an unknown motor condition. Had a ding in the cab from a tractor bucket and a bad fender from falling into a ditch. I do not currently have any stock pictures because as soon as we bought it, It gained a 3" bodylift, a full tune-up, and 34x9.5xR15 tsls I won at an auction.

Goals:
5.5" Skyjacker Long arm Kit
Level rear to match front
Custom trans cross member for the long arm
Paint
Fix cab
New Fender
Bumpers

And overall just have fun with it on the weekends in the woods and drive it to work during the week.

The skyjacker kit will be going on tonight hopefully with a few modifications to various parts for strength. Time for the plasma cutting.

Oh and the truck has been named WALL-E due to the tilted headlight which I dont have a picture of yet.

The lift while flexing on the 34s is just a 3in body, and it only rubs on the inner fender wells a bit when turning, we plasma cut the bumper corners off

Last edited:

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual

This bolt was a big PIA I didnt think I had a deep socket 1 1/8 but after about 20 mins of smacking a giant wrench with a sledge and spray it with pb, I searched again to only find a socket.. came right off with my snap on gun...

The heavy turd

Putting the Minions to work

Used the plasma cutter to punch out the rivets

Beer Break..

Lined up the brackets and marked the holes, placed a welding glove at the fuel lines and wires to save em while I plasma cut the new holes, Put 3 perfect holes right through both sides of the glove as soon as I stopped paying attention

Sexy

SO LONG

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know where I can get a drop pitman arm for a decent price? JC Whitney has one on sale right now for 65$ shipped.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
have you checked the classified here? there's usually some up for sale. post up a wanted to buy ad and someone may pop up that has one for sale. if i knew for sure i wouldn't need the only i have, i'd sell it.

however, the standard drop pitman arm will probably not be enough for that amount of lift... you'll want the fa6000 or whatever it is or do a superrunner steering kit. its not cheap, but the standard drop pitman is only a 2" drop. if you're steering is messed up, you'll have bad bumpsteer issues. if its a trail only rig, you might live with it... might not. idk.

anyways, subscribed. keep us updated.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Just purchased the drop pitman arm from JC for 65$ shipped, they have a deal for free shipping on certain orders. Best I could find.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Finished it up, just to realize the springs the guy gave me are def 6in coils. The camber on the pass side tire is horrible. I dont think they will work.

He didnt like the boot too much

For some reason the shocks hit on the control arms bad. I think this might be because of the longer coils. Idn

What can I do to fix this camber, Should I just drop to 4" coils, a friend has em for 50$.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Get an alignment. see if it will bring it back to right.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, that really doesnt look too bad. Looks to be around 3 degrees out or so.

I'd go out and bounce it up and down for a little while too, just so you make sure everything's settled.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
I just have to level out the rear now, if its able to stay this way. Im guessing shackles, or will this move my rear tires forward too much?

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
A major concern I have is that I dont have the order correct in the radius arms. Anyone have a pic on their computer of em. I use to screw these up on my 79 too. The order I did them from front to back of the rad arm is:

Cup, Large rubber, Rad Arm Bracket, Small Rubber, Cup, Nut. There was a little plastic peice that came with these, but I couldnt get it to slide on.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Plastic piece goes over the flange on the hanger directly in front of the large bushing.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
So tap it over the end of the rad arm flannel right before the small bushing

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, I bleive that's right.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Can I get the camber back with the stock upper joints? Or do i need to purchase such parts as:

Napa:
Part Number: NCP 2643950

or

Part Number: NCP 2642784

Which would be the better buy? I believe the 0-4 A buddy of mine has a commercial accnt through work that gets a discount n tax free so I can get them cheap.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'd just go get an alignment. You're probably going to need 3 degree camber bushings for the upper balljoint. My shop carries Stemp. Their part # is EX-3 for the 3 degree bushing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals