• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Diesel Ranger 4x4 Conversion

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Been finding a wealth of info on this site and wanted to share my build! I finally came across an 86 Diesel Ranger 4x2 longbed last year and have been using it as my work truck ever since. Awesome little truck!
First mods after full maintenance was installing a pyro and boost gauge (and seeing 1300*f WOT! ouch.) Had to get rid of the hacked in gardenhose exhaust and run 3" exhaust out the back, built a cold air intake and turned up the boost to 15psi. Hit a whopping 89 hp and 151tq on the dyno! WOHOO!! lol Temps never see much over 1150 now..Mileage is consistently in the low 30's.
Next is rebuild on the VE pump and injectors and turn the fuel up a bit and see what happens. The only thing I can find about this truck I don't like is that its not a 4X4.. Kinda handy around my neighborhood this time of year!
SOoo, I now have a chance to buy a wrecked 86 gas burner 4x4 shortbox for $250 just down the road from me. It has the Mazda trans and the manual shift Borg-Warner 1350 so Im HOPING this should be a fairly straight forward swap :icon_confused: Couple things I'm still investigating like coil spring rates and rear driveshaft length but looking like it should all be a bolt in. Any little secrets or suggestions yall might have I appreciate the input!

How I found er..

Found a new OEM tailgate for it along with a rust free box, got new cab corners for it as well, just gotta find the time now!. Gunna be a busy Fall!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Good luck on the swap! I'm just about to embark on mine (finally), Frame swaps are pretty straight forward, just labor intensive.

Take lots of pics and keep us updated!

jhammel85

Very clean for the year! Don't you just LOVE previous owners?

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Very clean for the year! Don't you just LOVE previous owners?
:annoyed: It took about a week and 40 different cleaners to get the hand juice off the steering wheel. Friggin nasty!! lol
Aside from that, it is really clean for a Nebraska truck from the 80's.. Most are much further along in the stages of "chemical cancer" around here lol Especially now with that garbage the state sprays on the highways to pre-treat (doesn't work) before a winter storm. We have 2 year old trucks coming in our shop with warranty rust hole claims on the boxsides and bed floors. Nasty shit!

Got some more pics somewhere Ill dig up of it cleaned up. Interior cleaned up pretty good! gotta love rubber floors and powerwashers :)

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Few pics of the cold air intake. Did that make a world of difference on EGTs! Dont suppose the ducktape rubber tube thats 3/4 collapsed had anything to do with it LOL!! :icon_confused:
I giggle everytime I hear that little hairdryer spooling up now! Funny thing about this truck, it sure does THINK its hauling ass..

Used the 2nd battery tray for the floor of the air box. Cleaned and coated it with POR15.

Aluminum shield bent and shaped to the hood. Cut down a piece of Corolla decklid gasket and fit it to the top.

Last edited:

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This thing is awesome. Your lucky to have found a decent diesel ranger

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This thing is awesome. Your lucky to have found a decent diesel ranger
Thanks Beef!
I was very lucky to find it! Being an F-series guy my whole life, I had no clue a diesel Ranger even existed when I found it either! :icon_confused: I ran across a craigslist add when I was looking for another work truck and thought someone hacked a diesel into a Ranger. Well a few eves on the internet edumacating myself later , I figured I better go take a closer look. I bought it on the spot after giving it a good driving. I new it was a solid truck, just needed some loving abuse!

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well harvest is done and finally got out to look at the wrecked 4x4.. :shok:

I think the frame might have a scratch or two lol..

I don't even like to think about the shock the tranny and trans case took on that one.. Ole boy said he slid it into a power pole and the scariest part was watching the power line overhead turn red and start melting lol
..I think Im gunna pass this one up.

The good news is I found a new connection to everything Ford truck! WOOHOO!
They are everywhere on this guys place! Problem is he doesn't like to sell anything...But we are dealing on a different truck now :)
Just a glimpse around the corner..

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
That white one looks way to snazzy to be sitting in a field!

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I hear ya man! I am like a drooling little kid with his face pressed up against the glass at a candy store when I pull onto the place. Gunna try to get up there again this weekend and get some more pics of the other 4x4. I figured out his favorite beer so gunna take some ammo with me too

jesselee20040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 about to swap in 2.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
I have a 86 2wd also, except mine is red with red interior with a short bed. I have been gathering parts to convert it to 4wd. I have a hpd44 that has been narrowed to EB width as well as an explorer 8.8 and a manual bw1354 transfer case. I just need to get a 4wd tk5 transmission to swap out.

jesselee20040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 about to swap in 2.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
How well does it start with the one battery, how many CCA is it? I have contemplated going to a single 750 or 800 optima battery, does anyone know what they came from ford with? The interstate battery website lists a 590 cca as the replacement so with two of these that is a lot of cranking amps.

Will that size filter fit under the battery tray? My truck doesn't have a/c so i have a little more room to work with.

Thanks

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It starts great with a single Optima, 800 CCA. I cant give ya a comparison cause when I got it, there was only one little junk Walmart 600 under the hood, and it did OK, but could tell it was a bit weak in single digit temps. Factory was twin 500's I believe, with newer battery tech a single will do just as good or better. Not much room left to fit anything under the bat tray because of the support bracket but could be removed/modified maybe?

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the link! Kick ass build man!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals