• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tune up = worse gas mileage, wtf

97ranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so basically last weekend I did a bunch of stuff to my truck and went from getting 21mpg to 17.5.

I replaced the wires with motocraft wires and the plugs with autolite iridium XP's. The old plugs should have been replaced a long time ago. The gap for most of them was between .090" and .010". I measured the gap of all of my new plugs and they were all right at .044".

I pulled the throttle body out so I could replace the valve cover gasket. When It was out I unbolted the IAC and sprayed it out with some carb cleaner. I planned on cleaning it but ran out of time so I just sprayed it out. Also sprayed out the TB. WHen I first started it up it had a rough idle which I attribute to the iac but after driving it a bit it went away.

I also replaced the timing belt, tensioner, camshaft seal, thermostat, and water pump, though I don't see how any of that could effect my fuel mileage.

My thoughts are it is either the plugs/wires, the iac, an air leak, or busted vacuum line. THe plugs and wires are all plugged up. I did notice when installing the plugs is the boot on the wire would not snap onto the end of the plug you just push it down, and it doesn't take much effort to remove. I didn't really gain or lose any power. I also replaced the air filter. I inspected the engine bay and did not see any loose vacuum lines or disconnected electrical connections.

Thoughts?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Put on a new PCV and hose? Maybe disconnect the battery for 1/2 an hour to reset the values. You allways want to reset the computer if you clean or change a senser.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you got carb cleaner on the MAF senser it may have ruined it never use harsh chemicals just electrical cleaner or rubbing alcohol.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yea did you replace the throttle body gasket? Never reuse the old gasket if it aint leaking it will.

97ranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you got carb cleaner on the MAF senser it may have ruined it never use harsh chemicals just electrical cleaner or rubbing alcohol.
I didn't touch the MAF.

Oh yea did you replace the throttle body gasket? Never reuse the old gasket if it aint leaking it will.
I replaced the iac gasket. and used a ton of hondabond on top of the old TB gasket... I doubt it's leaking there.

oh yeah and I had the battery disconnected when I did all the work so the computer was reset.

Could it be a plug/wire issue? I mean it's not missing on a cylinder could plugs that don't like the engine cause a 15% loss in mpg? Also could carb cleaner damage anything in the IAC or TB?

UPDATE: just went outside and sprayed all vacuum lines as well as the TB and IAC gasket with starting fluid and didn't get a change in engine speed.

Last edited:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Cam timing, are you 100% sure you didn't end up a tooth off?? This would cause all your problems, and still be drivable.

97ranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Cam timing, are you 100% sure you didn't end up a tooth off?? This would cause all your problems, and still be drivable.
no but i'll double check

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Mikel89us +1 .... As I read, the belt replacement problem was my 1st thought. Did you change fuel brands? Ethanol or alcohol added can affect your mileage a good chunk also.
I'd check one of the new plug wires on a hand-held plug to see that they are seating properly. You don't want one deciding to fall off while driving down the road. It's possible the metal clip inside might need to be squeezed together a bit to grip the plug terminal.
tom

add: What temperature thermostat did you use and what brand? Did the rubber seal make good contact with the inside of the thermostat housing? If you went cooler, you'll get less mpg...

Last edited:

97ranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Mikel89us +1 .... As I read, the belt replacement problem was my 1st thought. Did you change fuel brands? Ethanol or alcohol added can affect your mileage a good chunk also.
I'd check one of the new plug wires on a hand-held plug to see that they are seating properly. You don't want one deciding to fall off while driving down the road. It's possible the metal clip inside might need to be squeezed together a bit to grip the plug terminal.
tom

add: What temperature thermostat did you use and what brand? Did the rubber seal make good contact with the inside of the thermostat housing? If you went cooler, you'll get less mpg...

As far as fuel brands... that's not it. I have NEVER got less than 20 or more than 21 regardless of how I drive. Suddenly I'm at 17.5 that wouldn't be fuel (don't fill up at the same place usually anyways.

All of the plug terminals fit over the plug loosly. Like they will stay in place but it takes very little effort to remove the plug.

Thermostat was a motocraft stock temperature

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would take another look at all of the vacuum lines, one could have pulled loose or been broken when pulling the valve cover off.

97ranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I've traced all the vacuum lines several times and see nothing wrong with them. Could my engine still run perfect if I was a tooth off?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the 2.3 will run good one tooth off either direction.

97ranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
alright cool that makes me feel better hopefully that's the problem

97ranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just checked my timing. Everything is spot on. Could my timing somehow be off if all the marks are lined up?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
No, if the marks are on, it should be on..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals