• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine # starting with 9 ???

wooky1971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 91 ranger 4x4 automatic. It was originally a 2.9 and someone swaped it over to a 4.0. I am trying to replace the tps because of a slight idle issue and ordered a 91 4.0 sensor. The engine will hardly run with the new sensor so Im having to run the old one for now. Both new and old were non adjustable. So I decided to find the block number and see if the 4.0 is out of something that calls for a different Tps. I cleaned the area behind the drivers side dipstick just over the spark plug and came up with this number: 90TM6090BE. I have checked it three times and that first number is a 9. It lays out like a ford part number but I cant find a decade that coresponds to a #9. I have googled it, searched forums on here, and searched tech articles on here. Someone help please.

BTW: I have considered that 90 simply stands for 1990. the 1990 and 91 tps sensors are the same according to Advance auto site so the new one should have worked fine plus i have many ford products and they just dont make things that easy to figure out. lol

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
To my knowledge the 90TM was used until 95..then it became the 95TM with a smaller combustion camber in the head, but larger dishes in the pistons as well as some new bolt holes in the block, then in the 98 the 98TM came out with similar heads but smaller exhaust ports and an 8 bolt crank, the block has wider flanges at the oil pan as well.

Anything Pre 95 should be interchangeable. Some had EGR and others didn't, but everything else is the same.

wooky1971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. I went onto Advance Auto parts website and checked all the part numbers on tps made by BDW. It seems that 1990-92 calls for part #EC3312 but 1993-94 calls for part #EC3024. My old tps was not giving me any code or apparent issue but the truck is "hunting idle" and since both the tps and idle air valve were original ford parts I figured to go ahead and change them out and eliminate them as a cause. I installed the new tps, cleared the computer and it wouldnt hardly idle. I put the old one back on and its back to idling as it was so something is not right with the new tps. Your info narrows it down to a 93-94 model motor I belive. Thanks again

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You can always go look at the ECM. Since all the sensors go back to the ECM and it knows what it wants to expect the year of the ECM may be more important than the year of the block.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals