• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1983 XLT clutch hydraulic line replacement

King of Poop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a quick question. I have a 1983 XLT the the previous owner supposedly replaced the master and slave cylinder because there was a leak and now he can't bleed it. I went to check it out yesterday and found that there is a crack in the hydraulic line. (red clear tubing is that normal?) I do not see a way to disconnect the line to replace it. Through searching I heard there is a tool that may be required but I don't see where it would go. I also heard of removing a roller pin to release the line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

King of Poop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nobody has any ideas?

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
IF you clean off the slave cyl at the bellhousing, and at the end of the master cyl. you <will> find a roll pin at each location. The bleeder is on top of the slave cyl, in front of the line, and, most likely, filled with crud as it is an Allen head screw. Nice thing about the 83-84 Ranger/BII: the hyd. clutch setup is ALL external, and can be removed from the truck for work as needed.

King of Poop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. I'll hopefully replace that line and be good as new! I'll update soon!

King of Poop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I finally had some time and went on the search for the hydraulic line. I stopped by Autozone and Advanced and they didn't have it. I called Ford and they said it was discontinued. I called Napa and they said nope...

What do I do now besides find one from a scrap yard?

King of Poop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Find a shop/parts store that does hydraulic lines, or brake lines. They may be able to make a custom one for you if you bring in the original. Price shouldn't kill you.

Richard

King of Poop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright I have an update. Usually these posts end up with no conclusion so
I'm gonna do my best to explain what I've found. I finally had some time to try to pull the line. As suspected both sides were held in by roll pins. I had to remove the slave cylinder and master cylinder in order to hammer them out with a punch. I ended up putting them both gingerly in a vice and tapped them out. Turns out the old line had melted a hole in itself from I guess touching the exhaust. I took the line to a local hose and fittings place. The guy told me that this type of fitting is called a spicket (spigot) fitting. He made me a rubber one that matches the old one. Hopefully tonight I will get a chance to test the new hose. The fittings are a little different so fingers crossed! :headbang:

The old fittings cut out of the hose

King of Poop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Couldn't get it to bleed but no leaks. I hear these are notoriously hard to bleed. I guess now I have a new project. Hopefully I'll be driving by this weekend

rangerin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, that's pretty nice there! How much did he charge you? BTW, you are best off bleeding the MC out of the truck. Believe me! (it took me 5 minutes)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals