• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric Transfer Case to Manual Transfer Case Swap

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 Explorer with the electric push button 4x4, Borg Warner 1354. I would like to switch over to a manual. I have found a manual transfer case from an 88 Ranger, I believe it would be a Borg Warner 1350. Is there any major differences between the two transfer cases? Another thing I would like to know is, is it a bolt in swap, or would I be modifying drive shafts etc. Is there anything else to the swap, other then bolting it up, and rigging up the shifters in the floor ?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The transfer case is bolt in, but you have to find a shifter to work. I think there was like 20 something different shifters for the 1350.

You also have to modify the 1350 front drive shaft by shortening it 1".

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
The person I got the 1350 from has an 88 Ranger as a part truck, so couldnt I just grab the shifters out of it? I have no problem hacking up my Explorers floor wherever the shifters need to go.
Thanks for the help, good to know about the drive shafts, luckily I know some good welders.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
there arent even close to 20 different chifters. theres like 3. you need one from an M5OD truck (90+ is a safe bet). the shifter out of the 88 wont work, it uses a different transmission (the linkage bolts to the side of the trans.).

you can shorten the front driveline, or you can get one from a d35/1350 equipped truck (the d28 driveline is too long).

the hole is already in your floor. under your carpet there is a bolt-in plate that blocks the shifter holes. you just need to find the appropriate plate for your setup (auto/manual trans). it would probably be easiest to get the linkage, plate, shift boot(s), and boot trim all from the same donor.

it can be a bolt in swap, you just have to find the right parts.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i did this swap on my 94 ranger with a 5spd. i got the case from a 88 ranger with an automatic. the only modification i had to do was swapping the rear output flange from my old case to the new one all that takes is a 30mm socket and some locktite. the shifter from the auto bolted to my 5spd and the drive shaft barely fit just do your measurements first. as for the floor pan i just cut mine with tin shears. good luck its not that hard just check everything first.

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, well today, I went to the local wrecking yard here. Found a 93 Explorer, same as mine, looked inside, seen the shifter, looked under neath, an behold the 1354 manual transfer case is still there. It looks mint, I am going to grab that tomorrow, as well as the shifter and floor plate. Would I still have to modify drive shafts, would I have to get one shortened, or get the one from the donor explorer ? Does anything need to be wired up ? I really appreciate all the help, thanks to all of you.
I would feel much better and safer with the 93 1354 then having the older rusty 88 1350 under the truck.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a Dana 35 front axle, then you wont have to modify the front axle. Just make sure you grab the front drive shaft off the Explorer if you don't already have a 1354 front drive shaft.

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the front axle in my explorer is a dana 35, and I got a 1354 electric case, so does that mean the front drive shafts would be the same ?

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
Excellent, thank you very much.

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
I got the manual Borg Warner 1354 transfer case, shifter, floor plate, and all necessary bolts today from the wreckers. There was some wiring, and what looked like to be a cable hooked into it, I did not retrieve those as I did not have enough time. I am hoping that my electric transfer case has the same things.
I just have to get fluid and gasket sealant before I do the conversion, I will post pics an results when finished.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The wire hooked to the transfer case was for the dash lights. I wouldn't bother with it.

There isn't a cable hooked to the BW1354 manual.

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
There were 2-3 colored wires, and something that looked like a bicycle brake cable, running from the transfer case, up through the fire wall, under the dash and behind the dash gauge instrument cluster. When I un hooked the wire and cable like thing from the transfer case, there was a little metal rod type thing that came out, I saved that. Below is a picture of where the wires were hooked into, and the metal rod that was inside.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals