• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TOWING a skid steer loader?

Guagke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
im planning to get a skid steer loader "bobcat" and trailer at a richie bros aution. would that work good with a 4.0l a4ld with 5.13 gears and 35s. i know it was originally rated at 6000lbs towing in the manual.but will i still get that with this setup cause im planning to use this truck as a work truck also.i just have a ls8.8 28 pliner in rear and wondering if the 1.31" shafts will hold up to what i figure a 4000lbs bobcatwith 1000lbs trailer???i just dont want to invest in another truck for work i already use a 2.3 ranger for dd driver.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What model is the loader?

You can look up the weight here: http://www.bobcat.com/historical_specs/

What kind of trailer is it? Look through these and find one that looks like yours and you can get an idea of the weight: http://www.bigtextrailers.com/#

I wouldn't use a Ranger for that as a plan--an A4LD pulling 5,000# everyday, when people are depending on you. I don't think so. Plus, it's likely you'll have 1,000# of tools and materials in the bed I would think. And though your truck was rated at that as originally produced, with your lift I don't know how it's going to act with the CG raised. And I don't know how the rear lift was done.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have pulled more with less, however I would think safety is the issue, Ive never done it for a long period of time. The ranger just doesnt have the stability of a fullsize truck.

michowski

Reaction score
Can it do it, yea probly. Is it the best tool for the job on a day to day basis? Thats what you have to answer.

dirtsquirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 2005
Make / Model
ford And jeep
Engine Size
2.9 And 4.0
Transmission
Manual
even a 1/2 with a v8 is too small. just makes it on a short pull. 3/4 ton at a min. 1 ton would be better.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it only weighs 4k I wouldn't be afraid of pulling it on a trailer about anywhere with a half ton. Maybe a couple blocks with a Ranger with good trailer brakes, but that would be about it.

The bad part about those little skid loaders is that unless you look up their weight... they are usually a lot heavier than they look.

dirtsquirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 2005
Make / Model
ford And jeep
Engine Size
2.9 And 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If it only weighs 4k I wouldn't be afraid of pulling it on a trailer about anywhere with a half ton. Maybe a couple blocks with a Ranger with good trailer brakes, but that would be about it.

The bad part about those little skid loaders is that unless you look up their weight... they are usually a lot heavier than they look.
very true. but a trailer that is built strong enough to handle one most times are in the 2500 pound range, then had machine, buckets, fuel tank, then add a couple attachments, ( auger, hoe, extra bucket( smooth or toothed) soon add's up fast. even a small 45 starts at around 5 k

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
So true. I had a JCB backhoe (1200 series). Not a small machine in the least. Didn't look like much though, still topped the scales at 15,000#. Now add a trailer for it at probably 7500# and it is quite the load to tow.

Construction equipment, though small in size sometimes, weighs a good bit.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I pulled one with my 96 F150 i had, it weighed in around 8000lbs, on a 2000lb trailer, it handled it just fine, that was with a 300 6, E4OD, and 3.55's. But it also had 3/4ton springs.

Your biggest task will be whoaing that much weight, You could probley do it if it was done carefully.

later,
Dustin

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
very true. but a trailer that is built strong enough to handle one most times are in the 2500 pound range, then had machine, buckets, fuel tank, then add a couple attachments, ( auger, hoe, extra bucket( smooth or toothed) soon add's up fast. even a small 45 starts at around 5 k
No extra equipment was mentioned so I didn't think he would be hauling any.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It really depends on the machine he gets. That's why I posted those links. My Bobcat is an M371 and it weighs 2,000# and I usually carry it in the bed of my pickup. It would fit on a 1,000# single axle utility trailer and any Ranger would handle it just fine.

A new S630 is a pretty average weight loader and is 7,700#. Keep in mind a skid steer is designed to have 70% of its empty weight over the rear axle and 70% of it's loaded weight over the front axle. That S630 will put 5400# on one axle on your trailer deck.

The largest loaders run about 10,000#. That's on a 4,000# gooseneck behind a pickup.

So I'm saying, what loader are you looking at? What trailer?

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
5.13 gears......... I'd say go for it. for getting it home, or pulling it on the occassion.
Pulling it every single day isn't that feasable though.
balancing the weight on the trailor is key.

Frank

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'd say it depends on the weight of the trailer and model of bobcat.

I have only ever towed a bobcat with a 3/4 ton dodge. thats with a 3500 pound trailer and 8ooolb bobcat. not something a ranger could do. thats a bobcat T180, not even a very big one. they dont look it but they are heavy.

even bobcat's smallest tracked one weighs in at 5000 lbs....not something tow able with the truck you have mention when you consider a trailer that is rated for that much of a load or more.

my .02

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
+1 for more information. I work at an equipment rental yard and I can tell you I would never let a ranger leave with one of our standard skid steers. (we have an ultra compact one for tight areas that a ranger can tow (under 5k lbs)). While you might make it home, with the modifications and unknowns, there are just too many variables. The best line we hear at work is, "well i tow my 25' boat all the time without any problems!"

They usually forget to consider that their boat is both hollow and made entirely of fiberglass.

See if you can buy a buddy a case of beer to borrow his full size truck.

Last edited:

throttlejockey689

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991,'84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I also work at a rental yard and the same applies, no way a bobcat would get loaded behind a ranger/or any compact pickup.

But to answer the question- Yes you can pull it, with the gears, starting out it will pull and get going, the biggest problem you will have is cornering and stopping. If you have trailer brakes this will help the stopping but in an emergency stop it can get ugly fast. A trailer heavier than the tow rig will usually want to push the rear of the truck(in a bumper pull, 5th wheel/gooseneck not as much).

again this all depends on the overall weight of the machine and trailer. I personally would not recommend towing a heavy trailer or towing daily with your set up unless it were a lighter weight such as 1500-3000. I have done 2000lbs on a trailer with no trailer brakes and had no problems and was in full control at all times.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals