• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing gauge colors without changing the gauge face.

stuartcow

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I need to replace a bulb on my gauges, (the one that lights up the 50-80mph) and I was just wondering if changing the bulb color would change the color the gauges lit up? I figured while I have the cluster out I could change the rest of them. I wasn't sure if the bulb was just a white bulb and the color was a layer on the gauge face itself or if the bulb itself determined the gauge color. If it isn't the bulb that causes the gauges to light up green is there a way to change to color while retaining the factory gauge face? I remember seeing a guide on how to paint the back of gauge faces to change the colors years ago on here, if anyone could link me to that I would be very thankful. Also, what types of bulbs are back there that light up the gauges?

P.S. This is on a '03 Ranger with a tach.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the color is determined by a green sheet of plastic behind the instruments.

many guys have tried painting the bulbs, but the paint always seems to wear off.

not sure if that new of a truck still uses a 194 bulb for the dash...if so, colored LED replacements can be had which would be ideal.

Last edited:

stuartcow

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So that would require me talking the gauge faces off, right? Ugh, that's what I wanted to avoid. Any guide to taking out the faces off and or tips you could link me to? I am thinking about just looking for a service that I can just ship the whole cluster to and have them customize it if it's THAT difficult.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i dont remember if you get to the green plastic from the front or the rear side of the cluster, but either way the cluster has to come out of the dash and be taken apart. i dont know of any online guides...but it should be pretty self explanitory once you get it apart.

as far as i know there are no services that will do this for you (and if there are it will probably cost an arm and a leg).

xgenralxleex01x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i dont remember if you get to the green plastic from the front or the rear side of the cluster, but either way the cluster has to come out of the dash and be taken apart. i dont know of any online guides...but it should be pretty self explanitory once you get it apart.

as far as i know there are no services that will do this for you (and if there are it will probably cost an arm and a leg).
its on the back

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OP:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/24

You WILL need to remove the faces...no big deal. I find that wetsanding works AWESOME for removing hte green from the faces.

Here's my clusters build thread that was inspired by the link I just posted, but using 36 5mm LED's.
http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/f6/f43/f59/62796-how-paint-your-overlays-convert-leds.html

Before starting, get the truck to normal operating temperature and idling, then take a pic of the gauge cluster to show where the needles are. Then, when the work is done, plug the cluster back into the truck, get the truck running to normal operating temp, then set your needles(EXCEPT the speedo!!!).

Here's my how-to to calibrate your speedo. This is to be done BEFORE pulling the speedo needle.
http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/f6/f43/f59/74062-how-change-your-odometer-when-doing.html

Last edited:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
wow thsi si good to know, even that i like the stock green tho, i might replace the bulbs with leds, do i need white leds or green leds? i have the white face explorer gauges.
sorry if jacking the thread

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals