• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

H.I.D manafacturers?

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
which manufacture makes a good H.I.D kit for the rangers? one that won't take a shit on me the first week I have it.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
wanna give it more than 1.5 hrs?

are you using a relay kit? relay kit is essencial to an hid conversion IMO.

What's wrong with your current set? No warranty?

I've got both my fogs and head hid kits from an ebay seller named Autoluminate. Got almost 2 years and no problems with the headlights and got a year out of the fogs. I had a ballast fail on me. I was expecting that though...I had them mounted where they were exposed to the elements. This winter, they were regularly covered in ice and snow and in the PNW, always gets poured on by rain. Buddy of mine has his from the same company, no problems for almost 3 years now on his kits.

Again...get a relay kit.

What they do, is take power from your battery instead of the headlight plug. It uses one headlight plug to trigger the relay to turn on, acts as a switch. Not only does it relieve some strain on your stock wiring, but it also links both Driver and Pass side together and they'll light up at the same time. Plug and Play kits without a relay generally have an issue with the sides not lighting up at the same time. Sometimes require turning the heads off, then turning back on.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
www.vvme.com
www.xtralights.com

I've bought from vvme.com before for a past project. I'm planning on buying from xtralights.com for HID lights on the motorcycle maybe this year. Also xtralights.com has headlight lens too to replace the stock ones.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
wanna give it more than 1.5 hrs?

are you using a relay kit? relay kit is essencial to an hid conversion IMO.

What's wrong with your current set? No warranty?

I've got both my fogs and head hid kits from an ebay seller named Autoluminate. Got almost 2 years and no problems with the headlights and got a year out of the fogs. I had a ballast fail on me. I was expecting that though...I had them mounted where they were exposed to the elements. This winter, they were regularly covered in ice and snow and in the PNW, always gets poured on by rain. Buddy of mine has his from the same company, no problems for almost 3 years now on his kits.

Again...get a relay kit.

What they do, is take power from your battery instead of the headlight plug. It uses one headlight plug to trigger the relay to turn on, acts as a switch. Not only does it relieve some strain on your stock wiring, but it also links both Driver and Pass side together and they'll light up at the same time. Plug and Play kits without a relay generally have an issue with the sides not lighting up at the same time. Sometimes require turning the heads off, then turning back on.
I haven't even gotten one yet. I was just researching which ones would be my best bet. One that maybe has a good warranty or one that is well made. Because I don't know about little ballast's but the bigger ballasts are really sensitive.

The shop around my area sells a ONEX HID kit.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I Like this sites offerings on sport headlamp housings: http://www.andysautosport.com/projector_headlights/ford_ranger.html

No HID's. Some states have more strict laws about retrofitted HID's because of the glare they cause.

BTW I like the kits on this site: http://www.kbcarstuff.com/ I also like the ad:

They are based in Canada and while most HID conversion companies in the U.S. have closed(illegal kits) this shop stays open, check them out.

THEY OFFER DOT STREET LEGAL HID CONVERSIONS!!! Check out this link: http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xenon_HID_Headlamps_s/43.htm You could probably modify your OEM's to accept these reflectors.

Hell man, I can put HID's on my '83!

Last edited:

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i bought my hi/low kit from ddmtuning.com i paid $100 for the whole kit shipped and the ballasts are smaller and they offer a lifetime warranty also another member put up some pics of the same kit installed on his truck in the photo section.

Hey FXwannabe where can i get a relay kit? and do i really need it cause mine are plugged into the stock plug and when i turn them on they both light up with no delay.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
People who just buy a xenon headlamp set including cables, xenon light source and ballast, remove the halogen bulb from the headlamp, saw a hole in the cover cap, insert the xenon bulb in the reflector and connect the electronic ballast with the on-board power supply are endangering other road users through extreme glare and are acting against the law: the vehicle certification loses its validity and insurance protection is restricted.

Only complete, type-approved xenon headlamp sets are legal. This is why it is illegal to make a halogen headlamp into a xenon headlamp:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A Projo retrofit. I dream to do one one day. But I will say this..01+ housings, dont produce much glare at all. It's all about that dome that covers the bulb. Older models and those H4 conversion lamps that dont have the dome, have a HUGE amount of glare and I absolutely hate seeing them coming towards me.

I've got HID's on my '71 chevy pickup. lol.

There are no clear laws stating that running HID bulbs in a halogen reflector as being illegal or legal.

You can make a relay harness for about $6 in materials, or buy one complete off ebay for about $20.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good read for you if you are looking at HID's.

http://intellexual.net/hid.html

There are many companies and private merchants out there that will advertise 7000K, 8000K, and even 12000K HID kits. Most of these vendors lurk around on ebay, online car forums, websites, and ricer accessory shops. 100% of the people that buy these kits do so because they are uninformed, uneducated, or misguided in the field of lighting, and will buy these junk kits thinking three things: that these bulbs are brighter, that these bulbs should cost more money, and/or that they will perform better. All three statements are completely false. Perhaps this misconception and frenzy for purple lights originates from BMW and Audi's infamous Hella projector HIDs.

So allow me to explain the real truth of the matter... Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on Acura-Forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature (ceteris paribus).

Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb. No exceptions. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. This is least fatiguing functional color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road.
So the million dollar question is now: Why do BMW & Audi lights appear blue when they use a white bulb?

Well, this coloration is the result of the light projectors; the lenses: it's transparency, it's curvature, the tiny grooves etched into it; the projector assembly, the shield, and the reflector bowl. All these components work together to produce a signature of light unique to that particular optic's design. On the Audi and BMW projectors, the lens curvature at the edge bends the white light producing a "prism effect". White light is broken down to it's fundemental colors. Since blue lights is high energy, it is absorbed last and thus travels farther. So with this prism effect, you'll notice that BMW HIDs are only purple and blue from the sides, the top, and the bottom edges, but are always daylight white on the road and in the beam pattern. This phenomenon can be demonstrated when you watch an oncoming BMW hit a pot hole or speed bump in the road and the car's nose pitches up and down. The headlights will flicker and "throw colors off", but returns to a solid white beam pattern directly on the road.

Trying to emulate this color-flickering effect with a solid-state blue or purple bulb is only detrimental to lighting performance, it doesn't fool anyone, but most importantly it endangers other motorists around you. Blue light has what we call a very high diffuse density, which causes it to radiate outwards as opposed to forwards. What results is a wide glow of light outside the beam pattern that is blinding to motorists you share the road with. A blue HID bulb will produce color bleed around the headlight, around the objects it lights up, outside of the beam pattern, and around the cut off line. This is effect is known as "glare", and these illegal and improperly installed HID kits are the reason why HIDs get a bad wrap. As common evidence of glare, observe a traffic light at night in a dimly lit area. There is red light and green light. Red is opposite blue and green is next to blue, thus we can substitute green for blue. If you observe the aura, or glow, of light around a red light and compare it to that of a green light, you'll notice that the green light produces much more glare than red. Blue is even worse. Purple, the worst.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
i bought my hi/low kit from ddmtuning.com i paid $100 for the whole kit shipped and the ballasts are smaller and they offer a lifetime warranty also another member put up some pics of the same kit installed on his truck in the photo section.

Hey FXwannabe where can i get a relay kit? and do i really need it cause mine are plugged into the stock plug and when i turn them on they both light up with no delay.
lifetime warranty cant beat that buying them right now

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

nacanitihs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what kit did you buy from DDMTUNING.com?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thats a really good read that Jason posted. I wish everyone that has HID's would read that so they actually know what they are doing when they get HID's and no projectors. morons

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats a really good read that Jason posted. I wish everyone that has HID's would read that so they actually know what they are doing when they get HID's and no projectors. morons
i did alot of reading before i bought mine and i still bought them:thefinger:

FYI no one makes projector's for my year yet.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals