• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing with my Ranger

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi folks,

I'm looking to get some information on hitches. I don't know much about towing (I've done a ton of reading on here today, including the towing information in the tech section).

I'd like buy a class 3 trailer hitch. That appears to be the biggest one (and slightly overrated) for my '94 Ranger. 2WD, 4.0L, 5 Speed Manual, 9" rear drums. I'm not sure on the gearing, I would imagine it's stock. The rest of the truck is.

I see the hitches online to purchase from multiple retailers. What I would like to know, is where I can have one installed? Being safety is important to me, I'd rather have the experts install it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that you have as to where to have a trailer hitch installed and what BRAND would you suggest?

Also, I have a flare-side bed. Will that cause any compatibility problems with a hitch I may want?

My bumper currently has a ball on it. I want to keep the stock bumper on my truck and get a hitch that fits right below it.

I plan on towing a trailer that will be carrying two jet skis (700 lbs of skis plus the trailer weight). Next summer, I plan on buying a boat - based on the size that is safe for my truck to pull. Like 18' maybe?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate the help!

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a hitch is a hitch. you can tow that boat and jets not problem. you will keep your stock bumper no problem.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
A place that might install it for you is your local camper place. I know they do around here. They would also wire up your hook up for the trailer lighting, extra of course.

Stock bumper will be fine, as long as what you get does not require modifiying it. I would look and see if I could find a good one from a Ranger in the junkyards near you.

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the replies. :)

I'll look around for a camper/RV place and see if they do hitch installs. Thanks for the tip!

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you're buying a hitch designed for your truck you might as well install it yourself, It's not hard to put in six bolts.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I got a class III Reese hitch, I think they sell them right from their site?. It really is only a couple bolts.

Best to get one overrated, than underrated.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
If you're near a walmart, they sell them. I bought mine there.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I bought my hitch for my Ranger several years ago via Summit Racing. They had a class III for around $120 or so IIRC, and it was a direct-fit. I had to pull out two bolts that hold the bumper on and re-use those holes (didn't affect the bumper at all) for the hitch, plus two other holes already in the frame. Took me all of about 2 hours to do, could have done it quicker if I would have had a friend to help hold the hitch up. I'd say to just do it yourself, but that's up to you.

Now that I have a bit more experience working on trucks, when I got my F-150 I installed a class III/IV that required some drilling and it wasn't all that bad other than having to drill 1/2" holes through the frame (not fun).

You shouldn't have any problems other than that, just be careful and allow extra stopping distance when you are towing. I've become a big fan of upgrading brakes and having trailer brakes, but I probably tow a bit more than you will. Oh, yea, and don't ride your brakes going down a long hill, it's a good way to lose your brakes before you get to the bottom when you're towing.

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Excellent advice, thank you.

A couple people have stated that it's only a couple of bolts to install one? I can handle that, but I thought there was more to it.

I'll look at the hitches that are for sale on ETrailer.com and see what they have. Anyone have any suggestions for other sites?

I bought my hitch for my Ranger several years ago via Summit Racing. They had a class III for around $120 or so IIRC, and it was a direct-fit. I had to pull out two bolts that hold the bumper on and re-use those holes (didn't affect the bumper at all) for the hitch, plus two other holes already in the frame. Took me all of about 2 hours to do, could have done it quicker if I would have had a friend to help hold the hitch up. I'd say to just do it yourself, but that's up to you.

Now that I have a bit more experience working on trucks, when I got my F-150 I installed a class III/IV that required some drilling and it wasn't all that bad other than having to drill 1/2" holes through the frame (not fun).

You shouldn't have any problems other than that, just be careful and allow extra stopping distance when you are towing. I've become a big fan of upgrading brakes and having trailer brakes, but I probably tow a bit more than you will. Oh, yea, and don't ride your brakes going down a long hill, it's a good way to lose your brakes before you get to the bottom when you're towing.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Excellent advice, thank you.

A couple people have stated that it's only a couple of bolts to install one? I can handle that, but I thought there was more to it.

I'll look at the hitches that are for sale on ETrailer.com and see what they have. Anyone have any suggestions for other sites?
Yea, it's not all that bad with a direct-fit hitch. When you get into dealing with things such as trailer brakes and all, then you get into the joys of running wires everywhere. But it sounds like most of what you'll be doing will just require the stock 4-pin plug that's behind your bumper somewhere.

Summit Racing's site is http://www.summitracing.com

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The factory bumper will be fine for what you are towing--it's good for 2,000# and you aren't coming close to that at all. You buy a piece that snaps into your harness under the bed to run the trailer lights--it's idiot proof. You don't need brakes or anything on that trailer.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
The factory bumper will be fine for what you are towing--it's good for 2,000# and you aren't coming close to that at all. You buy a piece that snaps into your harness under the bed to run the trailer lights--it's idiot proof. You don't need brakes or anything on that trailer.
I do not disagree, the bumper will pull fine for the weight. However, it has been my experence, particulary at hiway speeds that a nose down trailer pulls better than nose up, (same trailer, same weight, same loading - small pop-up with independent suspension most experenced with). When you have a receiver hitch you can obtain the correct drop length slide in. With my 02 Ranger Edge package on stock 15 tire setup (EDGE 2x4 & 4x4 remain at 4x4height), I need a 2 1/4 inch drop to run most trailers at 1 to 2 inches below level at the tongue. In addition, an A frame tongue will like to nick and ding bumber (and trailer) in tight turns. I have also found most straight tongues will actualy swing to a full 90 degrees (aka jacknife)if there is not tongue jack or like to strike the bumper. This can be a really nice feature when some intelligent person pins your nose and A$$ when you stop for a meal or what not, as you can back it in to a jacknife and then pull out.:pissedoff:

As for installing the hitch, piece of cake on a original fit application.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals