• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oldie but Goodie 1988 Ranger 4x4

muerte69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is going to be a bit of a repeat from my introductory post that you can find in my signature and a little bit more about what I need/want to do to my truck.

My truck is a 1988 Ranger 4x4 with the 2.9L V6 and that is about all I know about it nomenclature wise. I couldn't tell you if the Ranger custom badge on the side means anything important or what gearing/axles it has (At least not right now but gimme some time...)

I got the truck from an old roommate after we got it back from being stolen. Radio and speakers were gone but everything else seemed intact and good.
I drove it for about a year or so and then the water pump started acting up and right after I replaced the pump we took it down to where we hunt to put up a deer stand and I got a hole in the radiator. We left it at the land to drive in and out of the woods but other than that it has mostly sat for the last few years.
I just moved to a new place so I got it cranked after charging the battery and putting a little new gas into the already empty tank.
On the way over to my new place I smell brake pads and sure enough the front left caliper has seized up and will need to be replaced.
So here is my list of things I know the truck needs, things I would like to do over time and some wants for when I am rich and famous.

Needs:
1. New Radiator - Will replace the hoses and thermostat at that time.
2. New brake caliper and pads - will replace all front pads but do I need to replace both calipers at the same time?
3. Fix the wiring to the back passenger side lights so it will pass inspection.
4. New tires as the ones on it are dry rotting and won't pass inspection.
5. It seems to be leaking fuel from underneath it so I have to find the cause and fix that as well.

Things I would like to do once it is running:
1. Replace head gaskets
2. New seat and dash (Was thinking new gauges and diamond plate)
3. 3in Body lift & replace mounts
4. Washer lift in front
5. Explorer leafs in back (Can I do a shackle too?)
6. Fender Trim if necessary
7 or 8. Camo paint job
8 or 7. Rhino line the bed and bottom foot or so of the exterior

What I want to do when the $ is right:
1. Suspension lift
2. Engine swap and all it entails
3. Not sure but I know I will find more I want to do on this site.

So with the list of things to do here is the very brief list of what I have to do it with at this time.

260 Piece Craftsman Tool Kit
A hammer
Small pry bar
Norther Tool Dremel Type Kit
Pair of pliers
Bunch of screwdrivers
3x 5-Ton Screw Jacks
Multimeter and bulb tester

So with my minuscule set of tools, a Haynes manual I think (Maybe Chilton) and what free time and money I have with the hope of buying more tools as I go and the wealth of knowledge on this forum I should be able to get this thing back on the road.

The trucks purpose is #1 a driver, #2 haul stuff, #3 hunting and fishing, #4 mud and with that in mind:
My questions before I start all this mayhem are:
1. Where is the best place for new parts - Napa, Autozone, Rockauto, etc...
2. Any tools that are recommended before I begin - Especially specific sizes like the Torx needed for the seats etc...
3. Is there a preferred radiator for the replacement - I will go to the 160-180deg thermostat whichever is recommended.
4. Suggestions on dash, gauges, electrical, gaskets, bearings and any other parts I should need.
5. Tire suggestions based on lift/no lift body, fenders, what have you
5. General comments, concerns, suggestions and the like.

So here are the pics of the truck at this time, no schedule for any of the work so I will try to keep them updated as I fix things.

I think that is all for now and if I left something out it may be in my intro post linked to in my signature.

Thanks guys,
Muerte

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1. I use autozone but that's because I know everyone by name.
2. Unsure, basic rbv works is 17mm 8mm and 10mm
3. I'm using a 4.0 radiator from an explorer, works great with extra fluid for cooling
4. I'm going to be on 2" lift with 33's but may need to trim fenders
5. Get pics...

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as parts I shop around enough to keep them honest

You can run a cheap spacer setup for the front to get 2" it's written up here

3" body lifts are alot uglier that 2" body lifts plus cause a few problems shifters ect.But you can run spring spacers and a body lift together.

Ive had good luck with used parts like the radiator.AllenD likes to look for what he calls new junk yard stuff.Really meaning barely used.

I really like the gen 2 dash in my 86 B2 do your research though.

Just as a suggestion try putting your caliper in a C clamp to free it up will probably work great.

Get tools as you need them be careful buying tools is addicting

muerte69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So if I go looking for a radiator at the local pull a part and did want to go up to the 4.0 explorer radiator what do I need to look for as far as year, engine and what does that take to get it mounted in my truck.

Was planning on the 2 inch spacer with washers bit and explorer leafs in the back. Can you use one of the Belltech shackels with the leaf to get even more or is it kinda moot at that point?

The body lift will come after all the cheap/free/junkyard mods so I will play that one by ear. I do know that with the body lift I would be able to fit a bigger engine when the time comes with less modifications.

What goes into swapping in a gen2 dash and are there any benefits?

Thanks,
Muerte

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would just do a explorer leaf swap, washer lift and a 2in body lift then cut up your fenders to fit 33's

muerte69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
33's where about where I wanted to go tire wise.

So I will try out the C-Clamp to fix the caliper and hit up the junkyard for radiator and leafs.
Just exactly what do I look for in the radiator? :icon_confused:

muerte69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well may get a good deal on some lightly used tires and wheels.

Now to see what the pull-a-part has in store for me...

muerte69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well picking up a 4.0 Explorer Radiator and leafs this weekend and hopefully will have everything up and running by the end of the weekend.

Wish me luck from the mechanic gods.

muerte69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well couldn't pick up the radiator and springs till today but got both for $105 removed and ready to go in the car so I won't complain.

My new to me Explorer Radiator:

And my Explorer Leaf Springs with all the hardware off the Explorer...

Now just what do I have to change to install these beauties?
I know I have to flip the center pin on the leafs and they should just be a swap?
I am guessing I need to remove the lower radiator supports from the old radiator and install this in its place?
I am going to get new hoses since mine are 22 years old so what hoses should I get for the top and bottom to work?
I just need to know if I need an explorer hose for one side and ranger for the other or what?
Also what should I use to plug the extra hose holes???
If you got any other advice throw it my way...

Thanks,
Muerte

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals