• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 spider gears

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Admittedly, none have been 4cyl 4x4's. Which is why I'm building mine.

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
As it turns out, the side gears out of my donor carrier are in fact larger than my originals. I don’t remember for sure where I got the carrier, I think I just picked it up off eBay several years ago for a previous build, thinking I needed a new carrier to run 4.56 gears, but didn’t end up using it. The outside diameter of the splined end of the side gears measured out at about 41mm whereas my originals only measured about 39mm. That being said, the inside diameters are the same and the axle shafts fit just fine so I guess I’ll be swapping in my donor carrier altogether. I’ll post up some pics of my side/spiders and even show how bad the center pin was messed up.

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Took a bit but here’s the spider/side gears and pin. Don’t know how the fella managed to do it but he sure broke it good! Now to the main issue of the truck. See the transfer case section...

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
hmm. looks familiar..:D well i did that often for a spell.

i am guessing the larger style only fits in one style and the smaller fits in either depending on washers.

i broke a few carriers, dont remember the specific one i ended up with. but i did note the difference in size and washer setups like mentioned before.

i knew the hybrid could come in a 3.0 truck, just not common in my experience....it is like mentioned, a 4cyl part and that is the rarest thing around here. 4cyl 4wd.

not common.

guessing... 150 to 1.

of they last 4cyl 4wd trucks i encountered at the junkyard they indeed had regular d35's in them...so i assume were upgraded. i specifically check because i would nab the inner shafts due to rarity and value.

what are the part number differences? seems we should record this and add it to the library.

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just used the complete carrier I had. The inside diameter and splines matched up to my axles just fine. The outside diameters of the side gears also matched. It was only the outside diameter of the splined section of the side gears that didn’t match. The walls were thicker by about 2mm. The shimming didnt matter either. I just reused the shims that were in the truck and it all lined up great. Didn’t need a spreader either.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
As long as the ring gear backlash didn't change you're good. Those aluminum alloy housings are a little easier to spread too compared to an iron one.

I don't know about the washer differences, but the diameter that was different for me is on the splined side gears where they slide into the carrier. I suppose you could turn them down on a lathe and they'd probably work, or make a bushing for the smaller ones to be used in the larger case. Either seems more effort and expense than it's worth.

I wish I better knew which years got those carriers and why. Because that whole ABS/on-ABS designation seems rubbish to me.

I wonder if I have one of the different carriers kicking around in my stash pile. Somewhere I should have 4 housings out at my parents barn, I'll have to check over Memorial weekend. Most are the newer '95+ but I think one is an older D35 beam.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I remember quite awhile back there were some reports of busted spiders happening on '93-'97 D35s, but never heard once of such on '90-'92 D35s. Logical guess is they must've shrunk something for the '93 model.

I have the old carrier from my '94 still bangin' around, though I don't have anything on hand to compare it to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals