• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Play in transfer case output shaft?

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey guys,

1996 2.3 4x4 Ranger, 5 speed. Working on my truck today and noticed that the transfer case output shaft (bolting up to driveshaft) has play up and down. Not a lot, but enough to make a little clunk and enough to see.

This can't be normal, right? I assume there is a bearing for that shaft where it exits the t case- is it likely that the bearing is shot? Is that something I can fix myself? Sorry for some stupid questions. The truck drives fine in 2wd and 4x4 and doesn't make any weird driveline noises or shake.

Next, I noticed that the t case and trans are HOT to the touch, and my truck has been off for half hour or more. Not enough to burn you but very uncomfortable to keep your hand on. I was driving 2wd doing errands before I started working on it today- no wheeling or severe loads etc. Is the heat concerning? I put new fluid in (Merc V or whatever the owner's manual reccomends, I can't remember) back in February or so, and I know fluid is still topped off in trans and t case because I just checked yesterday.

Any help greatly appreciated.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
From what I am gathering reading sources elsewhere, it sounds like my output shaft bearing could be toast, and I'd like to replace the seal for the output shaft as it clearly leaks. To be clear, I have up and down play of the output shaft. As in, I can lift the driveshaft up and down and see the output shaft move up and down with it.

When I got the truck there was still fluid in the t case, though not fresh looking, and seemed like the proper amount. Supposing the t case had not lost significant amount of fluid prior to me owning the truck, why might this bearing have failed? Truck only has 150k on it and by all other indications seems to have been well cared for (does not burn a drop of oil, lots of work done to it properly, etc).

Can anyone point me in the direction of how-to articles, videos etc for replacing the output shaft bearing? Is this a job that I can do? (I have lots of tools and am very handy).

If I take the transfer case apart, should I be replacing other bearings and seals while I have it out?

Thank you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals