• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Options for limited slip, auto locker, etc, on Dana 28/35 hybrid axle

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey guys,

I live in Mass and have to do a lot of awful winter driving so I am wondering what options I have for putting a limited slip or auto locker of some kind in my front axle. I already put a L/S 8.8 rear end in, but I'm crazy and would like to do the front as well.

My truck is a 96 (TTB front end) with a 28/35 hybrid axle (Dana 28 guts, "smooth" housing with no ribs)

I have heard that there were factory Ford Dana 28 traction lock front end units. How difficult is one of these to come across? Being that I have a Dana 28 differential essentially, I assume a D28 traction lock unit would swap right in? Is that correct? IF anyone has one they'd like to sell please message me!

I have seen aftermarket spools, Aussie lockers, Powertrax lock right etc. Can someone run me through the benefits and downfalls of each? I would love to not have to re set up my ring and pinion backlash if possible but am not opposed if necessary.

Thanks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did a redneck posi on my d-28. When in 4x4 you lose steering ability in the snow. It's awesome in a straight line tho.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I haven't come across anything that says the older D28 and yours are different as far as the internal guts are concerned, but then again, there really isn't much out there about it to read about compared to, say, the swapping of Jeep D35 lockers into TTB D35s, so I can't be 100% confident about it fitting.

I've also never seen a spool for a D28.
The Aussie and Lockright are basically the same thing, these are automatic lockers that unlock one side (ratchet) to allow for turns. They will increase your steering effort a good bit while in 4WD, but it shouldn't be so much as to be a problem for a majority of people.

You could also swap just the chunk (a.k.a. third member, pig) on your D28/35 for an actual D35 chunk... You'd then have far more options available for it (including selectable lockers, which are the cat's meow for a front axle), not to mention probably a 30-40% increase in strength (the D28 axle shafts are tiny where they go into the diff).

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Thanks for the responses guys. Always appreciated more than you know.

By selectable locker I assume you mean air/electronic controlled? Advantage being unlock/lock on demand depending on the situation you're in?

I have definitely thought about putting a D35 chunk in my truck. A lot of these trucks are getting scrapped in the Northeast which is making sourcing them harder :bawling:

A front locker or l/s in my truck of any kind is kind of overkill, I will admit. I don't wheel it or anything. I just DD this truck all seasons and even with 4wd and careful driving winter driving is sometimes quite sketchy, its like they don't even plow the roads anymore here in Western Mass :dunno:

I've heard very mixed opinions about the lock rite in snow, but it sounds like if you drive with your head and not your colon it can be beneficial even in snow

I'm curious if any of you have ever had a factory Ford LS unit for a front axle. I would guess they are clutch based like the trac-lock rears? So basically a modified open diff with clutches? I have a trac-lock out back and I absolutely love the way it drives on road. Are the D35 ford front LS units any easier to find than the D28 units and do they behave well on road as compared to other options? (I.E., better turning, less quirky and squirelly front end stuff)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Ford never put a limited slip diff in a D35, the front L/S was a short-lived option up until the mid-late '80s it seems (so D28-only). However a D35 L/S from a Jeep rear axle will fit no problem (and is a clutch-based unit).

Yes, Selectable Locker means you manually push a button to spool the axle solid. Push the button again and you're back to a regular open diff.
A small few can function as a limited slip when unlocked, but IMO that just adds unnecessary complexity... If you need more traction, push the dang button already lol.

With winter driving being the primary concern, I definitely would lean toward selectable lockers for both axles. Reason being, an open (unlocked) axle is much less likely to cause you to slip sideways on ice than a limited-slip or locked axle because generally only one wheel will slip at any given time (the wheel not slipping helps to keep you in place). Then in the event that you do find yourself stuck or unable to move, just push the button(s) until you're on your way again.
Of course you still do have to exercise caution when you have them locked, but at least you can control that at your own will, rather than always having to put up with an automatic locker during the times you don't need it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals