• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 spider gears

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
After pulling my diff out, I noticed my spider gears are all sheared off. I’ve searched all over for a new set and the closest I’ve found is on eBay but they say they only work though ‘93. My truck is a ‘97. Will those work? I thought all internals are the same on the d35.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
There are two different "hub"sizes. Hub - referring to the part the slips into the sides of the carrier. For whatever stupid reason, it's referred to as "ABS" and "NON-ABS" carriers (that I've come across). To make matters worse, it seems irrelevant as to if you have ABS or not, and either carrier can be swapped with one another without issue.

You'll need to use either good calipers or micrometers (overkill, but if the latter is more convenient) to check what you have and verify that with the seller.

I had this problem when I went to install a Aussie locker some years ago. The sides wouldn't fit my case.

Truth be told though, you're probably better off pulling a new-to-you complete diff housing from a local wrecking yard from a truck that has the same gearing. And it'll be open to inspect the condition of everything on that one too.

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/axles/ford-7-5-8-8-inch-axle-tag-door-codes/

As a final insurance that you have the correct ratio, there will be two numbers stamped on the ring gear.

Ex:
10-41 ; This would bean a 4.10 ratio, 41/10=4.10
or
32-9 ; This would mean a 3.55 ratio, 32/9=3.55

There's no standard as to which number comes first, just divide the larger by the smaller and verify that with your old gearset.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If it comes down to it, I have a set from my 93 that were removed when I installed different gears and locker. I can take measurements to verify sizes if needed.

What's available here is:

Side gears, spider gears and ring and pinion ic necessary. 3.73 ratio from 1993 ranger, single cab. No abs on front. Let me know ok w ic you need something.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When I went back to check the eBay listing, I read it further and it specified 84-93 Jeep Dana 35 then in parenthses, all ford. So is it safe to assume they are all, in fact, the same for the Ranger 35? I was thinking about going to the junk yard for a full diff as a last resort. I may have to rebuild my diff anyway as the ring and pinion are seized. I haven’t pulled the carrier yet to inspect. There was a ton of water in it also, so it obviously needs new seals at the very least.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I'm not enough of an expert to say they are all the same. In my opinion, if it was full of water, I would do a full rebuild. What ratio do you need?

If you want mine, make an offer. Shipping will be from Piedmont, SC. The truck they came out of had about 160,000 miles on it. But the owner for the first 150,000 ( my brother in law) rarely, if ever put it in 4wd. I would estimate these gears have less than 1000 miles of use.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Oh no, they have differences. I ended up selling that Aussie locker to a member in Alaska who had a similar issue but the lunchbox locker he had purchased had the opposite problem, it was too small for his carrier.

*edit: Tried searching for my old thread on it that had measurements. I think that may have actually been way back on the old forums before we lost them. Sad times, there was a LOT of good information lost on that deal.

Last edited:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
D35 TTB spider gears are all the same. The only different ones would be found in the HYBRID D35 axle. For those that dont know, the hybrid D35 is pretty much found in all none 4.0 RBVs starting in 1993 and essentially uses the smaller D28 carrier and gear set in a D35 housing. D35 carrier = 27 spline spider gears, D28 carrier = smaller, 23(?) spline spider gears.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
D35 TTB spider gears are all the same. The only different ones would be found in the HYBRID D35 axle. For those that dont know, the hybrid D35 is pretty much found in all none 4.0 RBVs starting in 1993 and essentially uses the smaller D28 carrier and gear set in a D35 housing. D35 carrier = 27 spline spider gears, D28 carrier = smaller, 23(?) spline spider gears.
Please read the post above. There ARE differences. I have personally came across them, not just heard about them on the internet.

The hybrid axle is rare, and is pretty much non existent after 1993.

If your housing has fins on the bottom, it's not the hybrid.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I'm not enough of an expert to say they are all the same. In my opinion, if it was full of water, I would do a full rebuild. What ratio do you need?

If you want mine, make an offer. Shipping will be from Piedmont, SC. The truck they came out of had about 160,000 miles on it. But the owner for the first 150,000 ( my brother in law) rarely, if ever put it in 4wd. I would estimate these gears have less than 1000 miles of use.

where i would disagree here....if it was full of water and locked up....throw it away. theres still plenty of pigs to go around in the scrapyards.

Please read the post above. There ARE differences. I have personally came across them, not just heard about them on the internet.

If your housing has fins on the bottom, it's not the hybrid.

this is true. hybrid not common.

but there are lsd carriers that wont work with the aussie. i used to gut d35's quite a bit just to get the spiders.....i broke them allot with brake bias because the aussie broke shafts too much and i drive in 4x4 on the road so open diff over full locker was better.... i dont remember having issues mixing them up all of the time if i kept them as a set...roll pin cross pin and gears.... though some did have bigger washers. and the tooth counts were not always the same so keep them as a set. the pinions would be 9 on some and 10 on others...wierd shit like that.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What do you mean? The hybrid D35 was never even made before 1993 lol. After 1993 practically all 3.0 rangers had hybrids in them & every '93+ 2.3 4x4 had a hybrid D35 in it :icon_confused:

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I'm really sure mine is not a hybrid according to all the research I did before my project. I had no trouble ordering and installing an Aussie locker in it and also had someone install a 4.56 gear set from Yukon.

1993, 3.0L, 4x4, Splash (single cab short bed stepside), M50D, 1354E

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I believe 3.0L trucks with an automatic trans were more likely to get the hybrid axle than manual-equipped ones (this certainly is the case if it came with a 3.45:1 ratio). However nearly all (if not all) 2.3L trucks made between 1993-1997 got the hybrid axle.

And ×2, the hybrid axle did not exist prior to 1993. It's use was confined to the '93-'97 years.

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Do I need to use a spreader to get the carrier out and back in or can I get away with not using one? I’m not changing the ring and pinion or the carrier itself, just all the bearings. I plan to use the same shins too.

I have a full 35, not a hybrid. I found an old carrier I had from a ‘92 with good spiders, I plan to use those in my carrier, then all new bearings and seals.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It helps but it's not necessary. Usually the factory shims are a single solid piece and not the stackable kind, at least for all the diffs I've been into. Saves on costs thanks to volume assembly. They're a little more robust than the stack-able ones but you still shouldn't whack 'em too hard.

The same shims should work. I actually replaced a GM 14 bolt Gov-bomb with an Eaton E-locker with the factory shims and new bearings, the backlash didn't change a wink. So if that doesn't change, and you didn't monkey with anything else like the pinion, you're set.

I have been under the impression that the hybrid was more or less only confined to 1993 as to use up inventory, and Ford had enough left that they decided it was cost effective to make a special housing to do so. Thus my comment earlier of "Pretty much non existent after 1993", as in, '94/'95/etc, it wasn't around, and especially by the time of the 1995 update when the front axle got better brakes. You guys are trying too hard to read between the lines. I've seen several 3.0L trucks with the true D35, stick and auto, in fact, of all the Rangers I've ever crawled around, I've never seen a hybrid in person.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have been under the impression that the hybrid was more or less only confined to 1993 as to use up inventory, and Ford had enough left that they decided it was cost effective to make a special housing to do so. Thus my comment earlier of "Pretty much non existent after 1993", as in, '94/'95/etc, it wasn't around, and especially by the time of the 1995 update when the front axle got better brakes. You guys are trying too hard to read between the lines. I've seen several 3.0L trucks with the true D35, stick and auto, in fact, of all the Rangers I've ever crawled around, I've never seen a hybrid in person.
All you need to do is look under a '93-'97 2.3L 4x4 (hopefully it's PO didn't swap in a real D35 just to throw us off lol). There are indeed hybrids (officially still called a Dana28) all the way thru '97 with the twin-piston brakes out there (Dana BOM# 610484 for example).

2.3L 4x4s are not overly common, so maybe why you haven't noticed one yet.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals