• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BW1354 Manual shift, replacing seals, can not get rear output flange off

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey guys,

I'm trying to replace the three seals on a BW 1354 manual shift transfer case that I'm putting in my truck to replace my old one which has at least one bad bearing.

I got the case apart, and the halves separated. The one seal I cannot replace at this point is the seal behind the rear output flange. I cannot seem to break the nut loose that holds the flange on. Does anyone know if its reverse threaded? I tried both directions and I bent my 1/2" bar both ways.

Supposing I replaced the other two seals (trans side of case, and front output yoke seal) and reinstalled the t case, will I have an easier time breaking the nut free while on the truck? My thinking is that with the transmission helping resist as opposed to in a vice, I might have better luck. I am afraid though, of breaking the transfer case chain or damaging other parts trying to do it this way.

I do have a torch but I'm afraid to heat the nut too much because of the plastic components attached to the other end of the shaft that I do not want to melt, and because if I destroy the seal using the torch but still can't replace it, that would be a problem.

Any advice?

Thanks

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
why don't you just take it to a machine shop, they deal with things like that all the time and it probably won't cost you very much at all

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its regular threads, "lefty loosy, righty tighty" :)

Nut torque is spec'ed as 150-180ft/lb so will be on there TIGHT

As Denisefwd93 said a shop with an impact gun could break it free lickity split

You can rent 1/2" electric impact gun/wrench or "borrow" one from a friend
Home depot sells a cheap one for $45 and its rated to 240ft/lb, never used it just saying
Impact gun "bangs" the nut or bolt while applying torque to break it free

You will need a puller to get flange off after nut is off, but you probably already have that

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. In hindsight taking it somewhere might have been a good idea. I like to DIY it when I can because I enjoy it and I have a lot of tools but most importantly I usually don't have the funds to pay for these kinds of things, unfortunately.

I did however manage to get the nut off. I had been soaking it in PT for several weeks and even with that and an air impact on a pretty good size compressor, it still wouldn't go. A small plumbers torch with the air impact was still a no go. A full size torch and impact took it right off. So that problem is solved for now!

Using a torch as it turns out is OK, the heat did not transfer to the plastic shift forks etc, inside that I was worried about damaging but, it does destroy a small plastic "oil seal" behind the nut and metal washer.

I'm surprised at how little information is out there showing how to do seals, rebuilds etc on these 1354 t cases. I did not think to take pictures this time, but I plan on rebuilding my old case (currently in truck) when I take it out and I will share that all with you guys when I do so that hopefully someone else can benefit. It will 100% need bearings etc. Previous owner ran it dry just about :dunno:

Other than small road blocks it doesn't *seem* like rebuilding these, doing seals, etc is really that bad.

As always thank you and if anyone is looking to attempt this themselves I'm happy to share what I'm learning.

One bit of helpful advice I can offer right now, is regarding finding the paper gasket that goes between t case and transmission tail shaft. Many people online say that it can't be purchased anymore. That is not true. Cobra transmission has the kit with seals and this gasket for like $9.99. The part number is TSK-1354.

Also, if you go to your local parts store, all three seals on this t case ARE in fact the same part. I was skeptical at first, but it is clear from the kit I bought that this is true.

Cheers. Chris :beer:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

And thanks for the tips

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hi all,

I just refinished rebuilding the transfer case I was working on in this thread: it works, and is nice and tight.

Working on them, it turns out, is not that hard despite the lack of writeups and info. If anyone is looking to rebuild, take apart, or do seals on a BW1354, manual shift, feel free to pm me with any questions. I will be rebuilding my old beat up transfer case soon and doing a thorough writeup with pictures

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals