• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 explorer trans in 95 ranger

95RangerAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not going so well. shifts harsh, my overdrive light blinks on and off. fluid seems fine but tranny never shifts right and is making me wanna cry. i need to get this truck running any ideas? both autos.

after really looking it up the explorer is a 4 speed 4r70w and the ranger was a 5 speed 5r55e. the connecters didnt all match up for the tranns to ranger. so i plugged in what i could, and the shift linkage. the shift points are all wrong, shifts hard. need help.

Last edited:

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
yep the electronics in the 95 are different than in the 98

umm a 4R70W transmission is only behind a V8 explorer and in noway will it bolt to a 4.0.

95RangerAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yep the electronics in the 95 are different than in the 98

umm a 4R70W transmission is only behind a V8 explorer and in noway will it bolt to a 4.0.
it bolted up and drove my ass home. haha. but yea it is definantly the 4 speed 4r70w bolted up to a 4.0. which in my ranger is the problem as it came with a 5r55e. so i get to put my rangers original tranny back in.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
need to figure out the pinout for the 95 and 98 transmission, if its like the AODE and 4R70w, you can repin the plug that goes to the transmision and it should work, but im not sure on the pinout of either tranny

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

95RangerAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its a 5r55e, and it only overheats when i put it in park while running... so i think i am going to just put that back in there because thats the only problem it had, it drove like a sonofabitch, was fast, shifted right, and it was the original tranny i think its going back in and ill just do some repairs on it later down the road if it still has the park overheating problem...

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
its a 5r55e, and it only overheats when i put it in park while running... so i think i am going to just put that back in there because thats the only problem it had, it drove like a sonofabitch, was fast, shifted right, and it was the original tranny i think its going back in and ill just do some repairs on it later down the road if it still has the park overheating problem...
It won't be overheating in park. See your other thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals