• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing my classic

lowrider961

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2003 ford ranger supercab Fx4 level 2 has 4.0 .Could I pull a trailer with my 1968 Cougar on it like from asheville,nc to charlotte,nc.Need advice please.
thanks
lowrider961

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I could but for the safety of the car I would want something with better towing abilities and brakes than a Ranger.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, what he ^ said.

The ranger will definitely tow it, but I wouldn't try getting on the highway with it. A short trip around town wouldn't be that bad. The ranger doesn't really have the wheelbase or mass for towing that kind of load down the highway. Even the mighty 4.0 is going to get pretty slow going up hills with that much weight behind it. You'll cook the tranny in short order without some major trans cooling upgrades.

Also, if you're going to try it at all, definitely get trailer brakes.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it COULD... but honestly... find a friend who has at least a 1/2 ton, it will be a much safer and much more enjoyable trip that way.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I towed my 99 Cobra on a trailer with my 02 Ranger, 4.0 Auto 4x4. I drove it from Texas to Wisconsin, 1300miles total. Southern WI has some steep hills to climb, too.

Get make sure you have properly working trailer brakes. I recommend a WD hitch of some sorts, my favorite being the Equilizer brand. It has sway control built in. Plus, if a SuperDuty is recommended to have a WD by Ford for over 5,000 pounds, so should a Ranger.

Others will argue with me, but I've done plenty of hauling with all sorts of setups with my Ranger. It pulls night and day different with the WD hitch, much more confident in the handling department.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would do it on a car dolly

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, car dolly. I saw a good one for sale yesterday on craigslist Knoxville for cheap.

lowrider961

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Allright thanks eneryone for the replies.What I here is maybe use a cardolly which way should i put it on the dolly and how safe is it. The car is a restored 1968 Cougar thanks agin eveeryone.
thanks
lowrider961

Ranger97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
car dollys are safe, you can back it up onto the dolly and lock the steering, but a much safer alternative is to put the front tires on the dolly and drop the drive shaft.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals