• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Garret T3 Turbo

Birdracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What size turbo should i run? i'm planning on using the Garret T3 turbo with this new build anybody have a link to anywhere i can take a look or have a part number? trying to get a price so i can start saving..

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
What motor are you turboing?? If its the 2.3L, I might have one that'll work for you...
SVT

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
What size turbo should i run? i'm planning on using the Garret T3 turbo with this new build anybody have a link to anywhere i can take a look or have a part number? trying to get a price so i can start saving..
Go to www.turboford.net and start reading. That website is the authority on the 2.3 turbo motor. Also check out www.turborangerforums.com for ranger-specific stuff.

The turbos that ford put on the 2.3 are as follows (at least the 3 most popular, anyways)

1) 85.5-86 SVO mustangs and some Merkurs (I think) got a Garrett T3 with 0.60 A/R coldside and 0.63 A/R hotside. Using all stock parts these will spool at about 2700 RPM. They are efficient up to about 300-320 Horsepower.

2) Most 83-86 thunderbirds, and a lot of Merkurs got a Garrett T3 with 0.60 A/R coldside and 0.48 A/R hotside. This turbo will spool a few hundred RPM sooner than the 0.60 hotside model, but are good for about 20 less horsepower.

3) 87-88 Thunderbird turbocoupes got a much smaller IHI turbo that is making full boost at 2100 RPM but chokes out pretty good much above 225 Horsepower. This turbo is a good option for a 4x4 ranger that gets wheeled and needs a motor with a strong low end.

If you want more than that, start looking at a T3/T4 hybrid, which will spool later but is good for about 400 Horsepower (ratings can vary greatly because there are numerous types of T3/T4 turbos).

Given the cheapness and love of junkyard parts that characterize most people building these motors, the holset HX35, HY35, and HX40 turbos off the 90's dodge cummins diesel pickups are popular swaps. With a nice big free-flowing exhaust, ported head, header, and cam, these can be made to spool between 2500-3000 and can really push a lot of boost - up to about 30 psi, and have huge power potential on a 2.3. There was a youtube video of a 2.3T making 600 horsepower on 93 octane and some methanol injection with stock ford turbo internals and a holset pushing 28 psi. -Just to give you an idea of what the little ranger 4 cylinder is capable of with the right parts.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yea iv been a part of www.TurboRangerForums.com for a while and i got my header and stuff from there. they have very good info on turboing 2.3L's

Birdracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah i'm turboing a 2.3 what kind of turbo do you have what price?, thanks for the links guys very helpful:icon_thumby:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I got a stock turbo off a talom, TD04HL, I also have the stock turbo manifold for the 2.3L i your interested in that...I think it max's out around 30 psi, should work good for your setup, spool up fast and still give you good on top end. would like 150

tarren.reed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what about in my new 96 ranger what is a site that i could look for a good turbo im thinking garrett? i need help

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Go to www.turboford.net and start reading. That website is the authority on the 2.3 turbo motor. Also check out www.turborangerforums.com for ranger-specific stuff.

The turbos that ford put on the 2.3 are as follows (at least the 3 most popular, anyways)

1) 85.5-86 SVO mustangs and some Merkurs (I think) got a Garrett T3 with 0.60 A/R coldside and 0.63 A/R hotside. Using all stock parts these will spool at about 2700 RPM. They are efficient up to about 300-320 Horsepower.

2) Most 83-86 thunderbirds, and a lot of Merkurs got a Garrett T3 with 0.60 A/R coldside and 0.48 A/R hotside. This turbo will spool a few hundred RPM sooner than the 0.60 hotside model, but are good for about 20 less horsepower.

3) 87-88 Thunderbird turbocoupes got a much smaller IHI turbo that is making full boost at 2100 RPM but chokes out pretty good much above 225 Horsepower. This turbo is a good option for a 4x4 ranger that gets wheeled and needs a motor with a strong low end.
Actually these ideas were discussed to DEATH back in the mid 90's
but "urban legend" keeps comming back.

1)the .63A/R turbine housing
a) a .63A/R spool at 2700rpm? Not a chance in hell.
b)On an SVO? ALL
c) Merkurs?No but some were retrofitted on because
ford parts didn't reliably seperate the .63's from the
.48's in the replacement parts supply chain, so if you
replaced a turbo with a factory reman there was a
certain "luck of the draw" element.
d)Thuderbirds? 5-speed turbo's? often, but not all.

2)the 48A/r turbine housing? Make 20hp less?
Only by the often quoted (but usually wrong) "butt-O-meter" dyno
The .63 turbine FEELS faster because as the car starts accelerating the turbo spools late (I.E. "LAG") and the sudden bulge in the boost really gives you a kick in the seat. the thing is that an utterly identical car with a .48
is rapidly becomming nothing but fading tailights at this point...

3)the IHI? These really do spool down low you start getting useful boost and torque down around 2400-2500, generally a 2.3turbo with an IHI and an intercooler has a torque production curve a lot like a 2.9 engine
If you drive a manual trans watching the tach and are used to driving
a 2.9 and actually KNOW how to drive a 2.9 you'll have very little adjustment to driving a 2.3T with an IHI, with one noteable exception... you'll be accelerating 50% faster, because you'll have a bit more than 50% more torque.

AD

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Does anyone know of the stats for the IHI? Perhaps to attempt to find a more modern equivalent (or close).

I've still yet to start my 4x4 conversion, need to wait until the cash flow is a little bit more steady again, but I'm really pondering the turbo while I've got everything out..

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are no compressor maps for the IHI that I know of, but it's a good turbo. I don't know what you are looking for in a more "modern" equivalent. Just go with it, you won't be disappointed.

Allan D said it's like a 2.9, which is sorta true IMO. The 2.9 has a lot more off the line, but above about 2500 rpm, the IHI 2.3 wins hands down every time. My brother had a 2.9 which was very healthy and did quite well, but honestly, even with the little IHI my ranger would eat it alive. The IHI gave up about 5500 which is quite a bit later than the 2.9.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I don't know what you are looking for in a more "modern" equivalent.
ball bearings (I've heard they do better about oiling and are supposedly better all around) and 20+ years of turbo technology improvements.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No, I said WHERE it makes it's torque is a lot like a 2.9,
BUT there is 50% more of it.

Below 1700-ish a 2.9 is a little better if only for it's greater rotating inertia and smoother (6cyl) power delivery.

a 4cyl has to get spinning simply to stop fighting itself

a 4.0 has a bunch more down low

There are no compressor maps for the IHI that I know of, but it's a good turbo. I don't know what you are looking for in a more "modern" equivalent. Just go with it, you won't be disappointed.

Allan D said it's like a 2.9, which is sorta true IMO. The 2.9 has a lot more off the line, but above about 2500 rpm, the IHI 2.3 wins hands down every time. My brother had a 2.9 which was very healthy and did quite well, but honestly, even with the little IHI my ranger would eat it alive. The IHI gave up about 5500 which is quite a bit later than the 2.9.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well how much are you looking to spend?

If you want a turbo with a little better performance, go buy a ball bearing turbo for $1000+, or sacrifice a little boost response and save about $900 and buy a used IHI. You wont be finding any ball bearing turbos in junkyards or for a bargain price. A buddy of min got a BB turbo for $600 and that was an amazing steal at about half price.

I highly doubt you need the edge a BB turbo would give. Start with cheap stuff so that when you fubar it (and you WILL fubar something), you aren't out as much cash.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
My days of buying stuff used or from the junkyard are predominantly over, got burned too many times. And what I do get from those sources are given a very thorough going over, basically rebuilt anyways.

Of all the things I've done "on the cheap" I've had to go back, buy new parts, rebuild, and deal with headaches trying to make it work I might as well have just bought a new one in the first place. The only time I still throw something used on is for temporary band-aids. I'm still rebuilding T-18 that only lasted 15 minutes in my built Ranger. (yes, it had oil in it...) That was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

I'm expecting to spend several thousand on the truck once the process begins, border lining on the cost of a new entry-level Ranger (probably a good bit cheaper though), bascially a brand new truck but the way I want it.

The 4cylinder has done everything I've wanted it to, just needs a some more oomph down lower and in the mid range.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals