• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L Remanufactured Engine - 88 Ranger

Wyant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guys,

I have the 2.9L pulled out of my 88 ranger after I started getting water in the oil and oil in the water (years ago). I am assuming either head gaskets or a cracked head(s). Initially I was gonna swap to a 4.0 but I don't want to have to deal with the wiring. and would just like to get this thing running as easily as possible. Engine has around 200,000 miles on it so I am looking to get a new remanufactured engine and am wondering where and how much you are getting them for. I've found a few online places who've quoted anywhere from 1500-2300. Just curious if anyone has went this route and can recommend a reputable place to get a reman from/what to look out for or any advice really.

Thanks,

Wyant

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
~$2,000 is what you'd pay for a reman engine.

Why not rebuild the one you have? New heads and a master rebuild kit will be about half the price; ~$1,000

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Depends, if the block is cracked a reman makes sense.

My guess is though the heads went

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I'm in the same boat, rebuild or reman engine. I don't think I have any head/head gasket issues, but if I do a rebuild they'll both get replaced anyways. I was thinking of doing a reman, then over the course of time tearing down the engine I have now and rebuilding it. Regardless I don't want to tackle either but the shops won't rebuild them, they just install a reman engine and charge you $5k.

Wyant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about pulling the heads and seeing if I can see any damage to the gaskets. If gaskets are fine, then I'm assuming cracked head or heads, in which case I would be putting new heads on an old engine. I've never completely rebuilt an engine before and if I'm honest with myself I think its a bit over my head without someone who could help. Also my time is valuable to me. I called a rebuild shop and they quoted me 8-10 grand for a complete rebuild....I think that was their way of telling me they didn't want to do it. To me ~2500 for a reman engine that I might get another 200,000 miles out of with the piece of mind that everything is rebuilt correctly is totally worth it. So if anyone has a vendor that they went through to get a reman and had good success with, I'd appreciate it. I got a quote from these guys: anyone have any experience with them?

http://remanns.com/cart.php?orderid=11741739

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
8-10 k to rebuild a 2.9!?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
8-10 k to rebuild a 2.9!?
Yep, sounds typical. Nobody wants to work on these things, they want you to go buy a new 100% electronic car so they can dollar you to death in repairs. They don't want to work on older vehicles because they can't simply plug their $10,000 computer into your 40 year old car and instantly know the problem, they can't diagnose anything to save their life. So, what do shops do, they instantly over-price an engine overhaul/rebuild/replacement because they don't want the business.

So, unless you can do the work yourself, you are out of luck. I have someone locally that is willing to help me replace or rebuild mine, otherwise I'd be out of luck as well. Just don't know right now when I'll get it done, but pretty much could do it whenever. Its running fine right now, just smokes like hell.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yep, sounds typical. Nobody wants to work on these things, they want you to go buy a new 100% electronic car so they can dollar you to death in repairs. They don't want to work on older vehicles because they can't simply plug their $10,000 computer into your 40 year old car and instantly know the problem, they can't diagnose anything to save their life. So, what do shops do, they instantly over-price an engine overhaul/rebuild/replacement because they don't want the business.

So, unless you can do the work yourself, you are out of luck. I have someone locally that is willing to help me replace or rebuild mine, otherwise I'd be out of luck as well. Just don't know right now when I'll get it done, but pretty much could do it whenever. Its running fine right now, just smokes like hell.
Guess im lucky. My local garage works on anything, i seen them workin on a model A the other day...

But honestly, 8-10k to rebuild a 30 yr old V6 is rape. Plain and simple

Wyant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To me, it doesn't seem that unreasonable that a rebuild would be very expensive. That's why iIm always surprised when people say do a rebuild, its cheaper. There's a lot that goes into it from what I hear: Disassembling, and cleaning the engine. Checking the block and heads for cracks as well as measuring the bores. Machining/honing bores. Surfacing heads, all the valve work. Cam and crankshafts reground. New bearings throughout, pistons, connecting rods, push rods, rocker arms, plugs... etc.... idk seems like a lot of man hours. Of course a reman engine should go through the same process so idk.

Either way it sounds like nobody can suggest a reman company, so I will just have to pull the trigger and hope for the best.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
As long as you stay away from autozone/advanced/o reiley rebuilds you should be ok.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
As long as you stay away from autozone/advanced/o reiley rebuilds you should be ok.
Kind of why I'm starting to think it would make more sense to just rebuild the engine that's in my B2 now, rather than chancing an expensive long block from the local parts stores that won't stand behind anything they sell.

May as well rebuild mine and know that its been done properly. Probably should get different heads?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Guess im lucky. My local garage works on anything, i seen them workin on a model A the other day...

But honestly, 8-10k to rebuild a 30 yr old V6 is rape. Plain and simple
My local garages will work on everything except rebuild engines, takes way too much time and takes up a service bay that could be making them money is their excuse. Well shit $8k to replace an engine with all their fancy equipment, isn't making them money? They probably shouldn't be in the repair business at that point given its just a little 2.9L V6. I'd hate to see what they'd charge to replace a 7.3L Powerstroke or a 5.9L Cummins LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals