• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.3 4x4 build up!

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Blah weekend

I was more worried about college this weekend, but I did some work. I put on a new fuel filter and checked the complete garbage system of exhaust I have. The exhaust looks like multiple straws spliced together. It starts as a 2inch, goes into a 2.5 adapter, to a catalytic converter, 2.5 pipe to a flange, flange to a 1.5 pipe to a glass pack. The whole system is covered in bubble gum that resembles metal lol....oh and how many hose-clamps came on the original cat? LOL
[/IMG]
Also my stock tire has a massive slash in the side wall so I tried to see if my 32s would fit on no lift.....
[/IMG] "FIT"

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah I wanted to turbo my 2.3, but the 4.0 swap made more sense financially and practically. It also gave me a new dash, air conditioning, etc

Do the 32's fit? It looks tight.

Can't wait to see this truck come together with the 8.8, D35, lift, etc.

As for the exhaust, you could put together a system with a universal cat and a two chamber muffler for less than $150

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The 32s fit into the wheel wells, but that was it. There would be too much rubbing, and I didnt feel like sawzawing those clean fenders. I picked up a 20 dollar used tire to hold me over until lift time. I forgot to mention that I put in new 6.5 speakers in the truck and redid the speaker wiring. Having music is nice.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Paint

So I took your advice RayInStl, I got some compound, clay bars, and microfiber rags. I just now need some wax. I did one side of my hood to see how it would look. Turns out the paint might have some more life in it
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The m5od seems to be holding up pretty well. If i had to guess I'm probably in the 250hp range with compareable torque (ported dual plug head, custom intake, ported turbo manifold, stock garret t3 .48 turbo, full 3" exhuast, front mount intercooler, 80lb injectors, stand alone ecu). Its fun, not a missle, but fun none the less. Its really a blast in the snow though haha. If the trans does decide to take a dump I have 3 more spared ready to go lmao.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
New videos

Ok so I made some videos showing off the new truck, the first one is just a basic walk and talk around
https://youtu.be/35_5gBpjHio

The second is showing how much of a difference the paint compound made, the truck will look brand new once I finish doing the whole thing. Going to take alot of elbow grease!
https://youtu.be/3nfd2589ieM

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Man that truck looks good in the videos.

If you ever want to add A/C and cruise control then you'll be happy to know that they are both nearly bolt-on/plug and play. When I added cruise to mine I only had a splice the power wire and grounds.

If you find a gauge cluster with a Tachometer(89-92) it should be plug and play as well. :icon_thumby:

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The truck actually has working ac! First vehicle I've had with ac. Unless you count 2,55. lol (2 windows down cruising 55) As for a tach, the 88 and 90 both have it, but I like it without it honestly. I just play it by ear. I love this truck! It does have a problem on hills in the city. It is just user error though lol. I am not used to having to slip the clutch on a hill and I give it too much skinny pedal and bark the tires. It is so loud echoing in the city!

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
Looks good! It's a bit of work, but the results are completely worth it.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Finished the paint today, it turned out really great! Put alot of elbow grease into it. Took upwards of 6 hours to completely remove the oxidation. From all of the rubbing my arms are stronger than they have ever been! Even when I was single at 15 lol.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

planning to remove the axles off of my 1990 ranger with the trashed frame this weekend

Ragingbull

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fortune Favors the Bold, Walk Softly and carry a Big Stick
LBJ, that is one sweet looking 4 banger 4x4, awesome to make a find like that.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you! I didn't get around to getting my axles off yet, had to help my brother move. The downside of having a truck....But I did score a nice camper shell for 50 bucks. It has gotten the grandpa look again, but in the trails and in general for camping out / roadtrips this truck wont stand out at all unlike my van
[/IMG]

VS.

[/IMG]

sure the ranger might not have the room as my van, but it wont stick out or draw too much attention to myself

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Busy weekend and some down time

So things have gotten really busy, but with thanksgiving approaching I have a little bit of time. This past weekend I managed to pull the 8.8 from my old 1990 ranger to prepare to swap everything over. Before I swap everything I am going from 3.73 to 4.56......the little 2.3 will love the 4.56s on 32 inch tires. The lift that is coming off of my red parts truck is a james duff 5.5 kit.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

I wont get a chance to work on the truck until tuesday afternoon. Also need to get my hands on a 3 jaw puller to get the bearing off the pinion to check the thickness of the shim. I have new bearings to put inside the differential, this is my first regear, hopefully it goes fine.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
4.56 and 32's should be a great combo. Looking forward to seeing your truck lifted!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You might need a 2-jaw puller or a bearing splitter to get that pinion bearing off. Mine only had 2 places for puller jaws to get behind the race. I used a bearing splitter. But it wasn't the best way. I fought that thing.

Eric B

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals