• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LED Dash questions...

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well after much searching I am still unclear as to what I specificly need for LED dash lights...

I need to know how many bulbs for a 99 ranger cluster w/ tach (as all the ones that say its 6 also don't have the tach) How many for the HVAC (as I have read both on and 2 bulbs)

And Which lights would work best (I'm lookin at super bright LED) The single, 4LED or the 5LED? (because everyone has counterdicting comments on all of them, 1's not bright enough on mine but it is on mine, I used 4's but they were dim ect ect... and they are on a variety of dash styles from first gen to 5th w/ and w/o tachs, some w/ and w/o the film) And what degree should I get as some come in 32, 90 and 120 degree patterns?

To clarify its a 99 cluster w/ Tach and I am not removing the film, and HVAC controls...

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
There are 6 bulbs for main lighting on the 99 cluster with or without the tach. I am not sure about the hvac controls, but I believe there are 2 bulbs. They are 194 bulbs or equivalent. The indicator lights are different, and I don't know how many of them there are.
The brightness is a factor in the manufacture, as is the ability to dim the bulbs. Some manufacturers use brighter bulbs so that you only need 1 LED, some use dimmer bulbs so you need 5 LEDs to be bright enough. The number of lumens is an indicator of brightness, but most manufacturers don't advertise by lumens on LED bulbs. The measurement of Lumens is a technical discussion by itself that could fill a book.
LED bulbs emit only 1 narrow-band wavelength (color) of light, that is what makes them so energy efficient. Usually this is what overcomes film based color (as in the green film of the instruments overcome by blue from the LEDs).
The middle degree is usually the best in this application. The bulbs shine into a plastic light pipe which distributes the light to the cluster. The more light you get into that pipe, the more light that is not lost to spill.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Alright Thanks!

Yeah well how the color works is yes that it only emits that color or spectrum wavelength unlike white incandecent bulbs which send all wavelengths and when a blue light hits a green reflective surface it goes right through as only the green wavelengths are stopped and absorbed or whatever. Sorry just had um... assert my braininess, gotta love paying to much in Science...

So I am looking at 8x 90 degree lights so far. I think i am going to go for the WLED x4's

irishblessing

i used the WLEDSx4

1st cluster then i decided to goet one with a tach same bulbs

with the WLEDs youll have hot spots they dont look that bad but youll notice them

DirtRoadRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
will someone please post a link on here to where i can get these for my 94 ranger?
i no tach,jus like tha top pic.
id like blue jus like this

irishblessing

superbrightleds.com mine are the WLED's x 4 theres a thread we have going with all this info

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals