• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Here's the plan

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
88 single cab 2wd to 4wd swap 2.3t setup to 8lbs of boost just enough to turn 31s I have a matching set of 1/2 tons from a 70s Ford plan is turbo set up first toss in a set of forged pistons and smack a turbo on it and run stinger performance's ECM (megasquirt variation) it says it's plug and play with a map sensor run it 2wd until I get the time to get a good 2.3 4wd 5spd trans and electric t case I'll use the shiftster thing for it so I'm not hacking a hole in the floor then run it 2wd still just with a shorter d shaft to the rear on stock axel then swap the rear to my full width 9in then when time permits again I'll swap my d44 in and be done!!!! Also a fancy James Duff winch bumper and my Smitty built winch I caught on sale awhile back so let me know what you guys think and sorry for the spelling errors this phone is not a good one

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A) Punctuation is your friend.

B) what trans do you plan on using for 4x4, and what transfer case?

The 8.8 from 95+ explorers is nice, LSD, typically 3.73 gears in most. you may find that ratio a little tall for 31" tires. you'll spend less time doing fab work than you would with the 70s F150 drum brake axles and get disc brakes out of it.

You also may find that you can acquire a complete turbo long block with turbo for less than you would trying to piece meal this together. there's a TF facebook page that usually has lots of things being sold-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TurboFord/

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Yeah sorry about the poor grammar lol but I plan on an fm146 I'd like to use a m5od but I don't think they were 4x4 at any point. I do have one on hand but it's an external slave style. I do know that they aren't much for withstanding HP but im thinking 8lbs of boost should be ok

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd only use the m5od behind a 2.3t. They came in every '88-'97 2.3 4wd truck made. If you have to you can make a 2.3 4x4 m5od out of a 2wd 2.3 m5od & a v6 4wd m5od but it requires full disassembly of both trans to get the necessary parts. I hoard 2.3 4wd m5od trans because they are fairly hard to come by. Also suggest going with a 1354m t-case if you can find one.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As someone pointed out in one of the other threads, there are several hundred 2.3l M5ODs for 4x4 available on car-part (and you could get your transfer case and driveshafts at same time) just about anywhere nation wide.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
You all make good points but I haven't been able to find a thread on here that shows how to identify the difference between the two

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
what do you mean difference between the two?

You don't have to cut a hole in the floor for either a 1350 or 1354 manual T case, there's a bolt on plate, take that from the donor rig... all '88 up 4 cylinder 4x4 Rangers have a M5OD as previously mentioned and will handle the most power of any option. If you are asking the difference between the 1350 and 1354 T cases, all '90 up are 1354 and have a fixed front output where the 1350 has a slip spline on the front output other than the STX versions that had a different fixed front output than the 1354 does...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals