• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Roller Rocker install, excessive noise?

agrich2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rocker/pushrod lash

So I am guessing that this procedure is done wit the cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke? Or do you just get each valve at the base lobe on the cam-like when the intake is about to open, the exhaust should be fully closed.

Sorry for being such a pest, but I want to get this right so I don't have to pull it apart all over again. I gotta get this thing running and going down the road.

agrich2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Roller rockers

Here is a pic of my valve tips with the Proform rockers on them for about 1 hr total run time.
This is not correct valve geometry.
You can see the "shine" on the newly ground tip in on the intake side of the valve tip, not in the center.
Since it would take a great deal of time to properly set these up (mostly modifying the pedestal to accept a stub mount), I am going back to the old school stamped rockers so this can be my daily driver again.

Attachments

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes your correct I like to set the valve lash with that cylinder at TDC, rotate the motor in the firing order to the next cylinder on TDC set the lash and continue, I typically go through the procedure 2-3 times, depending on if I find any variation from what I set it at on the round before.

Asking Intelligent questions does not make you a pest. I really feel sorry for all the members who put good money out for RR only to be fooled by someone who did not have a clue on how to set up a valve train correctly. Truth be told their kit damaged many engines just like the wear you saw on your, mine were worn even worse. With the engine on a stand, and a degree wheel & dial indicator you can see these 5.0 rocker arms sliding across the valve tip and verify that when they do you lose valve lift as it slides. There is another member on here that has a set of Morano rockers that I am awaiting info from him regarding his recent build, in a short time he is experiencing symptoms similar to valve guide / seal wear. This is on a new motor with a set of heads that he has quite a bit of time in as well. Just curios to see if he sees the same style wear pattern as you experienced.

Most likely your going to have some above normal noise and an increasing chance of wear due to the valve tips being worn now. Not sure what you paid for your new stock rockers but I had a very low mileage set I would have sent you for cheap. If I were you I would put a dab of the engine assembly grease on each rocker to help them during break in. Dont over torque the original rocker bolts, they break / strip fairly easy when you apply the gorilla arm to them.

Good luck, I hope you caught the wear in time.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals