• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0l supercharger buildup long travel kit

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so this is what i AM going to do and i dont care about your negative criticism i just want positive ok. So what i am doing is getting the tom morana racing stroker kit to make it a 3.3l and i am going to be getting the m90 or m112 supercharger and maybe a water meth kit but thatd be later down the road. Im looking for help to do this i will be getting a donor engine so i can still drive my truck tell i get this one done what i need is help from someone who knows more about this stuff then me. the kit will have forged internals and everything needed to be a good solid base for something like the 21psi i heard someone run in this block granted i will get headers and such to make it happier.
the next thing is dixonbrothers racing makes a 4wd long travel kit for my year 2000 ranger xlt and i am going to be putting that on once again help from someone who has done this would be so helpful.
the reason i am doing this is i see so many people doing 5.0s and 4.0l swaps or turbos but neither has been done together i have ever seen also with the stroker kit i have never seen it i a ranger here i get that it will be expensive but i am one dedicated to the blue oval and being one of a kind. will a bodylift help later on down the road with the new engine and super charger.
more is i would like to know how to install the water to air intercooler with these superchargers
and if anyone knows of a better transfer case and front diff please let me know this is going to be one of many project that i am going to be doing with the blue ovals
NOW I WILL POST MANY MANY PICTURES FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
dude, first off i love the enthusiasm and dedication.

but im gunna slam you a little bit, fist off, it would be way cheaper to do a 302 and stroke it to a 306 or 331 http://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-302-based-engine-kits-s/1304.htm or even bigger. these are strong and super stout ford engines, plus you can run either an efi or carb off it and you could run a super charger on it.

doing this gives you the whole mustang data base of aftermarket performance parts area, you can also swap in a 4x4 tranny and a strong upgraded Tcase like you want. (the only upgrade to a regular stock ranger Tcase is an Atlas $2,220)

the 3.0L engine is a high rpm engine, so switching to a 302 or v8 will give you massive low end power which is a must for 4x4. the 3.0L is a better gas milage type.

but this is just my 2cents. if you make a parts list for your end game for the 3.0L and a 4.0L and a 302 persay, youll see the pros and cons for each. im not saying its a bad move, but since your going to build the engine separately while still driving the rig a v8 swap is a smart move.

As for the front diff... your kinda stuck as it is a 2002 with the IFS system, the only real way to upgrade that would be a total refab. im talking grabbing a wrecked newer F150 with an IFS and basically grabbing that pumpkin and custom installing it into your front end, then have new CVS’s made using the F150 diff end and the ranger end that goes into your hubs.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the board. I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I do have some knowledge about building/supercharging the 3.0. (you can check out my build here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102433 )

If your goal is 21psi, you won't be able to get there with either the m90 or the m112.You'd have to spin the superchargers so fast, that they'd no longer be efficient, and would be heating the air to much to make power. 12-14 psi is probably the most you could safely make with those superchargers.
Whipple made a kit for the 3.0 that is a more efficient (less heat) twin screw rotor design, and could probably get close to 21psi, but the kits have been discontinued for several years so they're hard to find.
Turbo is really the way to go if you want over 18ish psi on a regular basis, but a turbo setup is completely custom, so get your welder and checkbook ready.

Also, before you buy an intake manifold from Morana, you should read this entire thread: http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/f202/eaton-m112-3-0-v6-build-56k-no-273248.html
It's the only one of his manifolds I've seen that's been purchased, and the manifold didn't fit the engine, and the supercharger didn't fit the manifold. It was basically scrap. Maybe he's made changes by now, but you should atleast take it into consideration before you send him money.

Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited:

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i dont care about your negative criticism i just want positive ok.
So far the two replying posters did not read his instructions.

what i need is help from someone who knows more about this stuff then me.
Not wanting negative input doesn't sync with the above.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So far the two replying posters did not read his instructions.

Not wanting negative input doesn't sync with the above.

What did I say that was negative? I didn't bash his plans at all. Simply told him what he could expect, and tried to give him some advise about potential problems he might run into. If he wants to build a boosted 3.0, then I fully support that decision. I even offered to help if he had any specific questions.
Also, the last quote you gave says that he wanted help from "somone who knows more about this stuff". Since I'm one of the few people on this entire forum to have experience with building a high performance, supercharged 3.0, I think I'm more than qualified to weigh in. I've spent many hours researching various performance options for the 3.0, and wanted to share some of what I've seen/ learned from other people. How was your post helpful again?

Last edited:

steven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a 3.8 super coupe motor in a 90 4x4 ranger and it was a grate deal of work. My m90 with a few mods, gets 15 psi. If I was to do it over i would of went with a 302. I also went sas 44 swap which has worked out grate. Best of luck to ya.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Supercharging a small engine just isn't worth it...The money to power ratio is too small.

Keep in mind that superchargers typically run off the power of the engine, so you actually LOSE power to gain power. (I know that sounds funny, but its true)

Turbos are typically used on small engines for this reason.

The 3.0 is a good engine if your trying to get nice mileage on the highway. But it doesn't create much low-end power which as stated is a must for a 4x4. Definitely lacks the aftermarket support of a 302.

I love the enthusiasm - I really do! - but I think you need to spend a bit more time thinking about your options, because I can picture you spending all this time/money on it, and then being unsatisfied with the power output, especially if you put some big tires under the truck once its lifted.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's a video of a fully built turbo 3.0 @23psi. Dynoed 323hp, and 323lb-ft to the wheels (needs some copper head gaskets though). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgsV1bXAJr0

That's a fair bit more than your average 5.0. Granted, this is close to the upper limit of what the 3.0 could do, and 5.0 based engines would have a higher limit, but it should be plenty of power and torque.

The OP is planning a forged stroker, so in theory, he could make a bit more power if he went with a similar setup, and some 1.8 rockers which weren't available when this car was built.

Last edited:

firebomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
these guys are right it not easy so here goes but to save you some trouble here goes...

i have been doing research on this topic on how to do it my self seem kraft werks make a nice compact super charger that will fit were the air conditioning was if you can stand not having a/c all you need is to make a bracket in a "L" shape that allows the mounting of the super to it and adjustment of the belt or squaring it up so the pulley are not off so the best runs true not to slip off...

also try imporperformanceparts.net they make copper head gaskets i have been considering this for a long time buying a 3.0 short block kit and throwing the rest on and running a mega squirt computer any ways it is what it is there is such a demand for the 5.0 in the mariner and explorer i can find any cheap ones up here any more it seem every one know about this... any ways see link to the places i mentioned...

tom morna racing:

http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=36

a bigger super then the m90 or the m112 they have been using these on civic so bare with:

http://store.kraftwerksusa.com/rotrex/rotrex-head-units.html

copper head gaskets:

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

megasquirt

http://www.megasquirt.info/

BF_JC230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes-Benz
Transmission
Automatic
I have a side mount M90 Supercharger kit for sale in the classified section...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals