• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Orange Crusher

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
@alwaysFlOoReD I had a look, wasnt loose. As far as I know it's the factory cable, maybe it stretched or something. Maybe it's just a part-time speedometer! :icon_twisted:

Haven't got new pics lately, but I did fix the e-brake light and some dash lights that had gone out. This really doesn't need much more before I get it finished. I'm going to try to find a plug for my reverse lights/4x4 indicator, use a generic button for the horn, and when I fix all that I'll have a shop handle the exhaust problem.

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
Truck's really close to done. Gotta re-wire the reverse lights 'cus the wirings shot, but I had the manifolds off and plugged the smog holes. It's real quiet now. Reverse lights are the last thing and I should be able to fully legalize it.
For now' here's a pic of me torturing these tires.

Side note, I'm falling in love with this little 2.8 and how it revs. It's slow, but it's so much more responsive than a 4.0l! It pulls to 5500 revs and wants to go to the limiter I found at 6k, and it doesn't even run good!
Found a set of headers and offy 4bbl intake for cheap. Probably gonna duraspark it and do that thing. If I can find stock size piston rings I'll throw a cam in it, and replace the valve seals while I'm at it, cus it smokes if it sits and idles.

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
speedo cable; did you check behind the cluster? Wondering if that may be loose. It almost sounds as if the cable is short and when going backwards the gears push the cable back into connection.
That was the problem I had with my ’83. My memory’s a bit foggy (it was 20 years and many, many beers ago), but as I recall, my speedo would suddenly make a whirring noise, then the needle would go all over the place. If I remember right, there was a threaded barrel connector in the back that was loose.

I’m really excited for you to be restoring a Ranger with so much personal history, especially since it’s been mistreated more recently. Seems a bit like losing a faithful old hound in a storm, only to get him back again, wet and shivering. Wishing you the best of luck with it! :icon_thumby:

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
Thanks! Today I've found the power wire to the reverse lights, one bulb is blown, but I'm currently wiring a relay to the factory trans switch, and I've found three more wires on the connector that I don't know what they went to. Two red with a grey stripe and a purple one with orange "dots." I'm assuming some of the 4x4 indicator stuff I forgot to hook up 'cus they haven't worked since i put the trans back. Cut the connector off and I'll find another one and convert it to factory after I get this thing on the road.
The speedo doesn't have to work for our inspections here, surprisingly. At least it works part time! I'm excited to start driving this. It's gonna be my hideously unreliable beater that I have to carry a full set of tools for, and I'm gonna love it.

Last edited:

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
Had it inspected today. Need a turndown on my exhaust, a master cylinder, and front wheel bearings. Had to adjust the e-brake as well, but that's already been done.

Last time I took a truck there they just glanced at it and stuck a sticker in it. They tore this one apart. Wheel bearings were classified as "very dangerous" on the ticket and I died laughing. It did 80 on the way there, complete with a hellish driveline wobble. I think it's the mis-matched driveshaft bolt, or the fact that it's a junkyard driveshaft someone stuck in it. I'll have to get it balanced at some point. Probably the reason why the tail bearing on the T-case pukes oil.

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
I really need help with this one. My clutch squeals loudly unless it's engaged. If I just put the weight of my foot on the pedal it stops, I assume its the throwout rubbing the clutch spring. Could there be air in my clutch causing it to not keep enough pressure on it, or am I gonna have to drop the trans to silence this thing?

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
Went on some trails, did some harder testing than whats pictured, got some pics, broke a shackle, and drove it for two days. Oops.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Went on some trails, did some harder testing than whats pictured, got some pics, broke a shackle, and drove it for two days. Oops.
Eh, don't feel too bad that you didn't notice.

I once got a work order than said "customer wants lump in bed liner to lay flat". The "lump" was a leaf spring sticking through the bottom of the bed, where the shackle broke, and the spring hit the bottom of the bed and punched through a spot that had rotted out under the bed liner.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Eh, don't feel too bad that you didn't notice.

I once got a work order than said "customer wants lump in bed liner to lay flat". The "lump" was a leaf spring sticking through the bottom of the bed, where the shackle broke, and the spring hit the bottom of the bed and punched through a spot that had rotted out under the bed liner.
Hahahahahahahaaaaa!!! I see that the same jackass customers that come to my workplace also visit you for their mechanic work. :annoyed::icon_rofl:

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
We had a guy call our shop (a Jiffy Lube, mind you) asking if we did oil changes.
Or another, asking if we were a detailing service.

But the best one is the one that asked if we sold forklifts. I had trouble not laughing at that one during the call.

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
Pulled the bed off and fixed the broke shackle. Only three bolts came out without getting cut. I snapped a brand new torx head on them so I gave them the death wheel. You only need three bed bolts right...? Right.

Either way it's back together and just as im about to drive it my 15 ton bumper jack fell over in the passenger floor and fubbernuckled my shifter, so I get to find a new one. It snapped it to where it can just be pulled right out of the trans, and can spin around and around. Entertaining, but not safe or really driveable. Any ideas on where to get new ones? They make TK5, FM145, and M5OD shifters, but TK4's seem to be NLA.

I'm checking the local junkyard tomorrow but unless I find something I haven't seen before, I'm gonna be outta luck.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Post a new thread [with pics] about the shifter, maybe someone on site has one. I probably do but shipping would kill.

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
This truck's now fully on the road, inspected, registered, and insured. And I think I'm keeping my spinning shifter. Makes the poor person riding in the middle seat hate 4th gear less. Time for road trips! If I can get a day off work...

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
Well, i let a buddy take this thing for a spin, it was more of a spin than we wanted.
It rolled, smashed every panel on it, so now our question amongst ourselves and here is, what do we do now? We wont scrap it.
Rock bouncer with a custom rag top? Or drop a new body on it and get it color matched?

Pics will come later when I can access my pc.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Hope nobody was hurt.

What is your buddy gonna buy for you to replace it? :shok:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals