• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mountaineer seats ranger

Afranco

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a set of 97 mountaineer leather seats and the driver is power passenger is not i have my 2000 ranger seat rails from my 60/40 with manual tilt back my delima is i dont want the power seat from the mountaineer but i want the seats to still tilt and when i put my ranger rails on it i have no way to connect the manual seat tilt for the back who has done this sway that can help me i cant find any write ups on it so the help would be nice

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
While its possible with a lot of welding/cutting/etc to make your 60/40 eventually work; you'd be better off going to a junkyard and finding a non-powered seat track from a lower trim level 95-01 explorer (that's what I did.) The tilt function is built into the seat on your mountaineer (if the lever is still there) should be on the left side of the seat, so swap the tracks and you're good.

Afranco

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dont have the original seats from the ranger they sucked so i took the rails and threw the rest away so do u think i could use the manual seat from the explorer and put the nice leather seats on it? Is that what u mean or could i just get the rails and the lever from the non power seat and put it on my seat

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
do u think i could use the manual seat from the explorer and put the nice leather seats on it? Is that what u mean or could i just get the rails and the lever from the non power seat and put it on my seat
Yes. If you flip over the mountaineer seats, there should be 4 13 mm bolts that attach the power sear tracks to the seat frame. Since I did the same thing that I think you want to do, remove the bolts and disconnect all the power seat stuff, find a set of non-power seat tracks from a 95-01 explorer (the slider lever will be built into the tracks) and separate them from those seats. Line up the holes on the new seat tracks with your seat frame and reuse the hardware removed above.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Is the seat belt not mounted to the transmission tunnel on the Mountaineer? That was the most obvious concern I've seen with swapping Explorer seats into the Ranger.

Afranco

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Awsome so i just have to find a 95-2000 explorer with manual seats and it will work awesome will be heading out to the yard next week to search thanks 1996xlt and yes the seat belt latch was mounted on a sererate rail witch i think will be easly takin care of by drilling and tappin a hole but maybe the manual seats there attached to the rails idk yet will keep yall informed

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That hole goes through a thick metal piece that's welded to the body. Just tapping thread into the body won't be adequate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is the seat belt not mounted to the transmission tunnel on the Mountaineer? That was the most obvious concern I've seen with swapping Explorer seats into the Ranger.
It is, but it also has a separate rail that the receiver rides along as the seat moves fore/aft. My work around on my 02 was to remove the interior hinge bolt (torx bolt that faces toward where the console that allows the seat to fold forward/back) and mount the seat belt receiver with the same bolt. The bolt is just long enough for good thread engagement and keeps everything in place.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Can you take a picture at some point? I'd love to look closer at that option.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That might be awhile my truck is in the continental US.....I am not.

However, I forgot to mention because my 02 has seat belt tensioners attached to the receiver, ever so slight opening up of the bolt hole needs to be done. Plug in your harness and the system is intact with no dash-lights present. On pre-98 trucks it would be less of an issue as they didn't have them.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Ah, didn't realize you were away. I'll take another look at the seats in my Ranger and one of the spare sets in the next few days and snap some pictures. A solution that doesn't involve welding a reinforcing tab to the body and threading it would be very welcome.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ah, didn't realize you were away. I'll take another look at the seats in my Ranger and one of the spare sets in the next few days and snap some pictures. A solution that doesn't involve welding a reinforcing tab to the body and threading it would be very welcome.
No worries! I'll chime in where I can. Anyway I can accomplish something on my projects with my limited facilities (garage with no power and a dirt driveway) without having to gather all my crap and go to my dad's shop is a win in my book.

Afranco

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was just gona tap the hole on the seat and bolt it in there not to the floor board its pretty strong metal there i think it would be good. I really like the idea of putting it where the seat is hinged that would work good i also to woild like to see some pictures please

Afranco

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So i couldnt find any explorers/mountaineers in the yard so i settled for a drivers side rail out of a 97 ford ranger had to drill out the right rear rail and had to ovalize the left rear quite a bit for it to fit 3 bolts go in one doesnt so three bold hold the seat onto the floor and for the lever i took that also from the 97 ranger so all the linkages fit for the rails and as far as the seat belt buckel i tapped out one of the holes in the seat frame and bolted it into it and for mounting the rails on the seat had to tap out the two rear holes on the seat from to bolt the four bolts to hold the rails on the seat and the passenger side the had to drill out both holes for the left rail and all four bolts went in i also did the same for the buckle so there in solid gona keep my eyes open for a explorer manual seat rail tho would like to have all four in the floor if yall know what i mean

Last edited:

Afranco

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also with the 97 ranger seat rail is that the seat sits a little on a angle leaning towads the door so im gona have to figure out how to shim it so it will sit level till i find a rail out of a explorer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals