• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camshaft Syncro

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This from the Camshaft Syncro/position Sensor tech section:

"You need to replace the whole unit (Camshaft Syncronizer & Camshaft Position Sensor). The camshaft syncronizer shaft has a nylon gear that engages the camshaft. This nylon gear wears out. If the gear wears out, it will stop turning your oil pimp. When that happens your engine will seize up. Do yourself a favor and replace it with a unit from Ford. They are the better than the one's found through the aftermarket."

Mine's doing some occasional squeaking, I think, but just noticed some oil leaking/weeping from shaft housing. Guess the o-ring has gone bad.

So if the gear is nylon and they wear so rapidly, why would I consider Ford (at twice the price) to use again? Ford ball joints were worn out a 60K.

Where's the, "Quality is Job 1"?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have 3 or 4 of the entire synchro units in the garage & while they are from various model years, none of them have a nylon gear, all are magnetic, maybe a melonized type material.

I totally agree about the Ford units being a better unit.

JP02XLT

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I totally agree about the Ford units being a better unit.JP02XLT
I guess that could be so but how do I compare when the Ford OEM unit seems to have such a high failure rate.

On RockAuto the Motorcraft is $93 for a 1 year warranty and the Standard Motor is $52 with 3 year warranty, AND comes with a new sensor with alignment tool.

Both gears look metal.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like any mechanical part, all cam synchros will eventually fail. Regardless of the manufacturer. The difference that I've noticed is the number of miles you get out of them before they fail. Motorcraft synchros seem to last at least 100,000 miles, while the cheaper aftermarket pieces typically have a shorter life span. I've heard members post about failures in as little as 20,000 miles when using aftermarket synchros.
If you want to save a little cash now, and risk using a lower quality part in one of the most critical locations on your truck, then go for it. As long as you know the warning signs and dont mind replacing them more often, You should still get at least a year or two out of an aftermarket synchro. But I choose to pay a bit more for the real deal, and some peace of mind.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The difference that I've noticed is the number of miles you get out of them before they fail. Motorcraft synchros seem to last at least 100,000 miles, while the cheaper aftermarket pieces typically have a shorter life span.
Wasn't my original syncro a Motorcraft? It seems to have only lasted about 60K. Motorcraft also appears to have little confidence in their product since it only has a 1 year warranty.

Price is not always an indication of quality, it could just be price point. Let Motorcraft justify the price by giving me some engineering backup for double.

Standard Auto at least attempts to give a little sales pitch on why you should buy theirs.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My comment was geared more towards your conclusion of the gear being nylon, It is not.

Comp cams makes a proprietary polymer gear, that they did a ton of R&D work on, they last well in vehicles with HD / HV oil pumps which can tend to put more stress on the distributor gear. I have used them in both Ford & Chevy small blocks with great success I dont think they have anything close to the gear on the Vulcan. Maybe someone could chime in on if the CMP Vulcan gear is similar to the SB Ford dizzy, and could be modified to fit the Vulcan shaft.

As for quality many re-man companies use OE parts that go through an inspection / repair process before being re-badged as their own brand, I know our ignition control modules from Delphi were sold as 1st line if the quality was up to certain standards, the modules that did not pass said standards were sold to several different re-man companies. So in this case you were buying a lesser quality product from the re-man and yes they increase their warranty as an advantage.

JP02XLT

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the modules that did not pass said standards were sold to several different re-man companies. So in this case you were buying a lesser quality product from the re-man and yes they increase their warranty as an advantage.JP02XLT
There are a couple listed as reman from Cardone, a U.S. manufacturer, with a one year warranty. Maybe that's the ones you're referring to.

Cardone includes a sales pitch as to why their reman is better than anyone else's - can't say I can judge it properly.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As with any manufactured part, you can have good and bad units. Just because your stock synchro went bad in 60,000 doesn't mean all motorcraft parts would. The flip side is that you may get 100,000 out of a reman. When dealing with an issue like this, there are statistical outliers on both ends of the spectrum. all we can do is look at the trends overall. It seems that on average, the Motorcraft parts last longer on average than reman units. That is all I was saying. You can choose whichever option you want, just make an informed decision.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When dealing with an issue like this, there are statistical outliers on both ends of the spectrum. all we can do is look at the trends overall. It seems that on average, the Motorcraft parts last longer on average than reman units.
What statistical data are you drawing your conclusions from?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just my own observations, and what I've seen many others post here and on other Ranger forums through the years. I can't remember ever hearing of a Motorcraft synchro going bad as quickly as yours did (lucky you). I have read others post where their aftermarket synchros have gone bad in as little as 30,000 miles.
I was just trying to share what I've seen/heard from others so that you could make an educated decision. It's your money and your truck, so do whatever you want.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
there are statistical outliers on both ends of the spectrum. all we can do is look at the trends overall.
Just my own observations, and what I've seen many others post here and on other Ranger forums through the years.
Don't mind the help but what you say is anecdotal not, "statistical outliers" or "trends".

A search found an 2007 with failed syncro, but no mileage. To be fair with Ford for now I'm not sure its failed or failing. Oil leaking for sure, but the occasional squeaking at startup has not been isolated to syncro as by the time I can get out of the cab the squeak's gone.

Maybe this is a good thread for others to give mileage on OEM syncro replacement and mileage on the manufacturer that replaced the original.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guess I should have stated "trends that I have observed". Sorry for any confusion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals