• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 Ranger, 02 sensors, MAF & hydroxy

outomyelement

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, I'm installing a hydroxy system in my truck and have a couple of questions...

In order to allow the truck to accept the hydroxy (i.e. burn cleaner, use less fuel), I have to fool the engine computer's readings of the MAF and o2 sensor(s). The primary goal is to make the computer think that the car is not running leaner (i.e. increase the fuel, offsetting the savings).

My model, according to the Haynes manual has 2 heated O2 sensors. I have not done a visual check yet -- but does anyone know if both sensors are before the cat, or one before and one after? If there is one before and one after, does it make sense to the technologically saavy to have the same voltage readings off both in order to trick the computer a few milli-amps? Comments suggestions?

The control module I'm using has one adjustment for O2 sensor(s), and and one for the MAF -- both adjusters are variable milli-amp power supplies. I m wondering if the before-cat O2 sensor and after-cat O2 sensors are supposed to have different voltage levels, or are supposed to be the same. Also what, for those that understand the way the O2 sensors and engine computers work, would happen if I only adjust the MAF and the O2 sensor before the cat (assuming there's an after cat O2 sensor)?

Second question: The o2 sensor puts out a variable (oscillating) pulse. Can a DC digital voltmeter read these signals (i.e. I want to install a couple of meters to monitor the voltage levels).

Thanks!
:c-n::stirthepot::icon_welder::icon_hornsup:

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
does it have a hemi in it?:dunno:

outomyelement

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
A hemi? It's all stock, 2.3L 4 cyl.

Last edited:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yes it has a pre cat and post cat O2 sensor. You can ignore the post cat O2 sensor as all it does is monitor the functioning of the cat itself. The PRE cat O2 sensor is the one that the ecu uses to run and adjust things with the engine along with the input from the MAF/intake air temp sensor and coolant temp sensor.

outomyelement

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Great! That answers my questions...

Thank you! :icon_cheers:

:headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals