• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Computer build... input needed!!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so my parent's computer died, my computer nerd brother spent a good bit of time playing with it and pronounced the mobo as toast. Since it was originally his computer, he wants the tower back with the power supply but doesn't really need anything else. He also is being obsinate about replacing it, so the task has fallen on me...

My parents want a comp that they can use and also that they can hook up to their tv so they can watch shows an stuff since they have no tv at this point (cable tv is not available, satellite companies say that service would be poor to nonexistant because of the valley, and the digital converter box does not work because the signals are too weak). They would prefer an Intel system with XP or Vista. (I'd prefer XP, but whatever will work better). Currently they do not have a high-def tv, but eventually will probably get one. They do not game or anything like that, pretty much just use programs like Word, Publisher and the like, web browsing, email, and video. Mom would like a slim case, but is willing to use a standard case, so I'd like to see at least one option of each. We'd like to be under a grand for cost (we have monitor and all the lil goodies).

If you need any further information to make a system suggestion, let me know. I don't know much of anything about using a comp as a media center thing, I just know that I have my comp connected to my tv and stereo and it works well enough for what I use it for.:icon_twisted:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
There was a thread about three months ago where one memeber posted a bunch of system specs for a Media computer...specifically a TV connection...don't remember who it was...

With that kind of money for just a tower and OS you could probably get a new one with all the bells and whistles loaded...or a used one that someone recently upgraded from...

I won't specify parts in this case because you would probably be better off getting something already built...good computers are much less expensive these days...and if you need to add a TV card or whatever that can be done at any time...just don't go too old in the case of a used system...Pentium IV dual processors are plentiful...

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would look at an HP Media Center Machine. Everything is included and is a no fuss no muss setup.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I won't specify parts in this case because you would probably be better off getting something already built...good computers are much less expensive these days...
Negative. You can build a much nicer PC than you can buy already built from someone like Dell or HP. I have right at $1,000 in my current tower. To buy a comparable PC already build from Dell or HP would cost close to $4,000.

Are you going to be using all new parts, or using some of the old parts?

Does your parents have internet at their house?

Do they plan on getting an HDTV at the same time as the PC?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Negative. You can build a much nicer PC than you can buy already built from someone like Dell or HP. I have right at $1,000 in my current tower. To buy a comparable PC already build from Dell or HP would cost close to $4,000.

I'm not sure if my bro is taking the complete tower from the old computer or if he just wants the case and doesn't need any of the other stuff... but all the stuff in the case is pre-SATA, so I'm not sure how much of it would be worth re-using.

The monitor, keyboard, mouse and printer will all be used with the new tower.

They have DSL (dial-up and cable are not available... oddly enough).

The HDTV will be purchased at some point in the future, probably not for at least another year unless it's needed for this to work or their old tv dies.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure if my bro is taking the complete tower from the old computer or if he just wants the case and doesn't need any of the other stuff... but all the stuff in the case is pre-SATA, so I'm not sure how much of it would be worth re-using.

The monitor, keyboard, mouse and printer will all be used with the new tower.

They have DSL (dial-up and cable are not available... oddly enough).

The HDTV will be purchased at some point in the future, probably not for at least another year unless it's needed for this to work or their old tv dies.
If you are looking at building a new PC, then I would get a new case. New cases are cheap.

You want EVERYTHING to be SATA in a new PC, even the CD/DVD Drive. I never build PC's without full SATA internal devices.

DSL is fine. It will allow them to stream shows off of the shows website (ie: ABC, CBS, Fox, etc.).

The best thing would be for the new TV to be bought at the same time. The graphics cards that interface with the old "yellow" audio cable are not that great. With an HDTV, you can use a graphics card that has DVI output and then use an DVI to HDMI cable to connect it to the HDTV. Besides, HDTV's are relatively cheap now as well. You can get refurbished plasma or LCD HDTV's for around $450 for a 32" screen.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

You're saying it costs 4 times as much to buy a pre-packaged machine versus building your own? I'd LOVE to see your parts comparison on that. Building a high end system does net you some savings when compared to purchasing from a manufacturer (but not 75%), but on a typical entry to mid level machine the prices are nearly the same.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You're saying it costs 4 times as much to buy a pre-packaged machine versus building your own? I'd LOVE to see your parts comparison on that. Building a high end system does net you some savings when compared to purchasing from a manufacturer (but not 75%), but on a typical entry to mid level machine the prices are nearly the same.
4x as much, probably not; that was an exaggeration. 2-3x is a definate probability. See the example below.

I have right at $1,000 in my case and hardware at home. A comparable unit from Dell is $2,650 from Dell (I just built a comparable PC on Dell's website) and that is with a few less options that mine has but wasn't an option on Dell's website (extra hard drives, extra fans, fan speed controller, larger modular power supply, custom case).

A PC like lil_Blue_Ford's parents need, I could build for $800 with either XP Pro, XP Pro 64-bit, or Vista Ultimate. For $800 it would also include Office Professional 2007. For the exact same PC on Dell's website, it was over $1,000 including Office Professional 2007.

Not to mention that if you build or have someone build a PC, you can upgrade it in the future as your needs grow. Have you ever tried upgrading a factory build PC (Dell, HP, etc)? It is impossible unless you buy largely marked up parts from the original manufacture (Dell, HP, etc).

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You should be able to build a decent computer for less than a grand

I have about 600 in mine, although it's almost 5 years old now. but that's not including any software/OS.

If your using your old components, hard drive, cd/dvd drives, floppy, etc, and moniter, it shouldn't be too bad - but you didn't say what you had so not sure if it would work with new technology.

You can get a case with power supply for like $50 if your not to picky

check pricewatch.com, they compare prices and give you the best deals

then look for motherboard/CPU/memory combos - should start around $300 depending on what you want - you can buy seperate, but in a combo at least you'll know everything is compatable.

You could try to find a motherboard with onboard video and audio, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to find one with tv-out, or second moniter, so you need to get a seperate vid card. I prefer seperate video card, but onboard audio is ok. If it's for graqhics or gaming - definitely seperate vid card.

My vid card has tv-out, but its the older analog (rc plugs) which would work with older tv-s but I dont know if you can even find one with analog output anymore, most new ones are digital. You might need to splurge on the dig tv to get tv out on the computer

but its been a few years since I did any research on computer parts.

another thing you can look at is a barebones pc, which comes with all the basic components, then you can use the drives and stuff from your computer.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You should be able to build a decent computer for less than a grand
This is the PC I priced for him for $775 + shipping.

Hardware Specs:
- CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case
- GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz CPU
- CORSAIR 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
- Samsung CD/DVD Burner
- RaidMax 530w Modular Power Supply
- EVGA GeForce 8400 w/ 512MB DDR2 RAM Video Card
- Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Operating System: (Your Choice, Included)
- XP Pro
- XP Pro 64-bit
- Vista Ultimate

Software Options: (Extra)
- Microsoft Office Professional 2007 (add $30)

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^^^^ I would hump that PC.............(if my wife didnt know about it..........lol)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Not all that long ago I built my destop from parts recommendations by people on here and a couple other sites I frequent, IMHO, I'd prefer to build a comp than buy something pre-built. Thus why I came back here looking for an idea on what to build.

We have a monitor from an old Gateway, keyboard and mouse.

TV upgrade will be dependent on available cash.

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could add a HDTV tuner so LBF's parents could watch TV if their monitor is big enough.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Not all that long ago I built my destop from parts recommendations by people on here and a couple other sites I frequent, IMHO, I'd prefer to build a comp than buy something pre-built. Thus why I came back here looking for an idea on what to build.

We have a monitor from an old Gateway, keyboard and mouse.

TV upgrade will be dependent on available cash.
Sorry, but the situation you described didn't sound like it warranted a custom built machine...the reason I suggested pre-built...it would be quick and easy...and after pricing computers for that type of situation you could get a used one for about $200...

I gave two of my neices used Dell 700Mhz PIII computers about a year ago and they have dial-up to chat with their friends...more computer than they actually need...

But...if you want to spend money...to me it's like seeing an old guy (someone over 55) driving a 400 HP Turbo Mustang convertible and watching his toupee flop in the breeze...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals