• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

(moved) 84' XLT Project

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Well, as seen all over the forums, I am moving all except my sales thing in the Garage Sale section.

(recap)

I am rebuilding my 1984 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4. It needs the engine and transmission rebuilt, body panels cleaned up, and a new frame.

I am accepting all advice, free parts, and help on this project.

Currently, it needs a new brake line and a headlight.

(stuff from mom's garden, was windy, and the barn was locked, so lucky me, in the ranger it goes =P).

Gonna start by replacing the brake line, but for now, I want to see if anyone has a spare rim or rim with tire?

Last edited:

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
alright, here we go, looking for some ideas on a new grill and light setup that is similar to the 4th gen.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Alright, plan as is, looks like if adsm08 is coming over next Saturday, we are free to talk and hang. If all goes as planned, the engine is an OKAY to go. With benifit to adsm08 for him from us.

Uhm... lets see, got my camera yesterday, works like a charm, great video quality, 4gb internal memory, 1 hour of high definition video, and great lighting and audio too!

Drove to Williamsport to get my dad's license renewed, and drove through Loyalsock (adsm, I thought about dropping by, but I did not think you were home, and did not know your address).

Picked up the ATV, followed by leading a person who did know know where the fairgrounds were to there. Found out the rally cars are here for the race this summer, cool stuff that they travel through our small town each year, and this is the professional rally cars too.

Dad's mowing the lawn, and I have 1 hour to get ready for my gf's graduation ceremony at the high school. My dad is going to support Candice (gf), and my best friend Jason (father-type-figure to him). I hope all goes well, and all goes as planned.

BTW, we are keeping the manual transmission in the ranger so my mom can drive it too.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
can't drive manual

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
still looking for that parts truck (p.s. got video of truck, gonna upload today if I have time).

Also, this saturday is still good for the engine, tis hoping so.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Nice to see another 2.8 liter engine and its 4wd. The only thing I have about them is the factory carb set-up on the 2.8, good thing I got rid of it and so did my dad.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I will be needing to convert mine to a FI with the 2.9L, decided to just build a new truck basically..... need a frame still though, be nice to have one prior to installing the engine so we can transfer everything.... mine is seriously shot.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Go 4.0, you have to change out the wiring anyways, might as well do it.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Well, no $$$ to do that, I have adsm08 giving me the 2.9L for free and helping me rebuild that, so I am lucky he came around so I could even start this project!

Going to pickapart in Horseheads, NY sometime, gonna see about a Ranger Frame.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Called into the pickapart in NY and found that a frame from a first generation ranger (single cab), as long as we pull everything off of it, is about $500 +/-. Closer to 800 if we have them do it, not including labor. I can also get a 2.9L for 200 for parts. they don't know if it runs or not though. Only ones they got too, of the frame and the engine =P. out of 1700 vehicles, they only have ONE 2.9L Ranger engine, and ONE first generation Ranger.... wow... anyways, anyone got a cheaper frame for a first gen in PA? please tell me, I am looking for anything cheaper, because thats an easy Full-Day trip to NY for a frame and an engine.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
adsm08 came over today with a guest, and took a looksee at the ranger, looks like I am keepin the 2.8L, and also just getting a new frame. As I admired his truck upon his leaving, I got the inspiration needed to fix my ranger.

Removed Panel so I could remove the brackets and put the tailgate back on to make it look more original.

Removed this from the tailgate before putting it back.

This is what the tailgate looked like when I was done:

Just gotta melt the plastic off now and remove the bolts, that will be very easy to do (did not have the proper tool with me to remove the brackets).

The rear bumper broke when I stepped on it to remove the tailgate originally, it bent the frame too. You can see its bent in that third image.

I worked to remove it slowly:

Some Yahoo Welded the bumper to the frame using a small piece of metal on both sides of the frame. =P

The back bumper looks like this:

Here is where I got today, I made sure to tuck the cables under the bed to be sure they wont be damaged, they still work.

Some more to go, need some parts, hoping to get that parts truck for 750 from my dad's old boss' friend. Its a second gen with a blown engine and tranny, good frame and etc. though. tis hoping =)

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
kinda looks prerunner from the back XD

Next on the list is to remove the front bumper, but being more careful about it, and hoping there is no welded brackets holding it together. I am also gonna be removing the spare tire bar, it has a very sharp piece of metal on that used to hold the tire. I am debating on removing the bench seat or not.

Any suggestions on removing the bench? and also anywhere I can buy a new guide for it, because the driver's side is rusted to heck.
Any suggestions on door seals either? mine are dryrotted.

Last edited:

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
might be removing the tailpipe to, gonna find some replacements for that, might tear one off of a junker at my neighbors house. and then buy a wire brush, get some cheap sheetmetal, and patch my pipe.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Gonna get a wire brush, and one of these from walmart tomorrow if I have time:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals