• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
What To Post Here:

We see a lot of threads in the forum about A4LD problems.

I would like for everyone who has or had a problem with their A4LD to post it in this thread. Please post what the problem is/was and how you fixed it if it's been fixed. If you post the problem now and get it resolved later, edit your post. Don't add it further down the thread.

I want this thread to be simply problems and known fixes. Not a long lengthy thread with a ton of suggestions as to what might be wrong. Try to keep the thread on topic to just A4LD problems and known fixes. Don't wander off in to what ifs and shot in the dark suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, it's not a good sign when there is a specific portion of a forum dedicated exclusively to your transmission!

I have a 1992 Ranger four-wheel drive with a automatic transmission. Overall it very happy with this truck, but as of late the transmission has been giving me some problems, and you may have read about this in an earlier thread that I had posted.

Briefly, to summarize, I had the tranmission fluid changed by Jiffy Lube, and shortly thereafter when towing a small boat my transmission had spewed forth a fairly large quantity of red fluid.

My original assumption is that this was overflow fluid, as performed by the service center, and indeed the rate of discharge had decreased, but never ceased.

I had brought it into the mechanic for visual inspection, thinking that perhaps it was the overflow tube, or the dipstick tube but there was no obvious sign of the fluid leakage, except for between the bell housing in the engine block, an area such as would be disclosed by a failure of the front pressure seal.

I decided to watch and wait, and simply check the fluid level frequently.

However it continued to leak, especially under load.

Given the fact I don't have the time to pull transmission myself, I contemplated bringing it in, but that's a fairly expensive job on a fairly old truck.

Thus I decided to roll the dice and try some transmission sealer, which miraculouly appears to have worked. The prayer might have done the trick, as it were.

I realize that this is likely only temporary, but a least a limited time to save money for new transmission seal.

Hopes this helps somebody.

Bill

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 94 Explorer with a dead A4LD. Well, not all dead, it had reverse, park and neutral! No forward gears, and no bad noises. Truck had 191,000 miles on it, but the 4.0 was strong, had great (and even) compression across the cylinders, and doens't smoke at idle or when jumping off the throttle. Bought the truck for $350 and decided to rebuild the trans than get a junkyard one.

During the teardown, I found out the trans was a rebuild already. Droppingthe pan showed a lot of friction material in the fluid, but no hard metal parts in the pan, just the normal "fuzzy" magnet. The overdrive planetary set was broken though, and when I got into the forward clutch set, the friction and steels were all smooth. The seal for the forward clutch piston had a cut, so it never had enough pressure and the friction material was chewed away. Don't know what caused the cut. Maybe the rebuilder was a little sloppy and nicked the seal?

Bought the rebuild kit through Rockauto.com, bought a replacement OD planetary through transmissionpartsusa.com. Heavy Duty torque converter and OD and intermediate bands were sourced locally... All together, a little under $400 in parts.

Already had an external trans cooler, I didn't knwo that when I grabbed one for a F350 truck. Turns out, the one in the EX was the same size. If I see overheating as an issue, I'll add this extra one inline. I flushed the lines and coolers with a foaming flush. And will change the trans filter and fluids at about 5000 miles.

Truck has been on the road now for a couple weeks and shifts nice, and the truck is a really nice ride. Will be better after I get some new shocks under it...

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Why is it we have a ton of people with posts in this forum about A4LD problems, but none are posted here?

I'd like to get a list of A4LD problems whether they're fixed or not.

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 88 super cab with a 2.9 4x4. the tranny was slipping a bit and leaking fluid out of the tranny pan gasket, so i got a filter kit and changed the fluid. It still does not always catch when in gear and it takes a little to go into gear, especially when its cold out or im parked on a hill. I have checked the fluid level and it always reads in the safe zone but I have found tranny fluid coming from the front of the transmission up at the bell housing and cant find the leak anywhere. is there a seal that could have gone out? how hard would it be to do a total rebuild on this thing?

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Oh the wonderful A4LD...

My problem started back in November 2008, after going on a 20 mile road trip to a hunting spot. I only held about 55 going there (granted this was a strain for the little 2.9) but I watched my temp gauges and all was good. But after nearly getting home, leaving a light, I notice it won't shift to second. Great (the tranny was just rebuilt about 7,000 miles ago). So I had to rev it up to about 3K-3.5K RPMS, drop it back down to idle, then gas it again to get it to shift.

So I start with the basics, check fluid level, it was good. But I went ahead and replaced the filter and fluid. Still a no go.

Replaced the vacuum modulator. This helped a little bit. I then started adjusting the vacuum modulator, this helped quite a bit. It will OCCASIONALLY shift by itself, only if I'm very light on the gas off the line. And this is where it stands as of right now. I was thinking of cleaning the valve body, just to see what that does, but I don't have the time right now.

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Heres mine but its a 4r44e problem

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50942

o/d flashing and super bad slipping after oil and filter change, 183,000 miles 4x4 3.0 1995 ext cab ranger borg warner electric tcase
The number one problem with these trannies seems to be the electronic pressure regulator (available over the internet for $50 to $100) where it no longer controls properly, and can become really apparant after services.

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 88 super cab with a 2.9 4x4. the tranny was slipping a bit and leaking fluid out of the tranny pan gasket, so i got a filter kit and changed the fluid. It still does not always catch when in gear and it takes a little to go into gear, especially when its cold out or im parked on a hill. I have checked the fluid level and it always reads in the safe zone but I have found tranny fluid coming from the front of the transmission up at the bell housing and cant find the leak anywhere. is there a seal that could have gone out? how hard would it be to do a total rebuild on this thing?
Not only can the front seal leak, but the bellhousing bolts can leak. They arent too bad to rebuild, but some special attention to a few areas will make it more successful.

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh the wonderful A4LD...

My problem started back in November 2008, after going on a 20 mile road trip to a hunting spot. I only held about 55 going there (granted this was a strain for the little 2.9) but I watched my temp gauges and all was good. But after nearly getting home, leaving a light, I notice it won't shift to second. Great (the tranny was just rebuilt about 7,000 miles ago). So I had to rev it up to about 3K-3.5K RPMS, drop it back down to idle, then gas it again to get it to shift.

So I start with the basics, check fluid level, it was good. But I went ahead and replaced the filter and fluid. Still a no go.

Replaced the vacuum modulator. This helped a little bit. I then started adjusting the vacuum modulator, this helped quite a bit. It will OCCASIONALLY shift by itself, only if I'm very light on the gas off the line. And this is where it stands as of right now. I was thinking of cleaning the valve body, just to see what that does, but I don't have the time right now.
Try adjusting the bands again. Possibility is that they werent seated properly when adjusted after the overhaul.

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why is it we have a ton of people with posts in this forum about A4LD problems, but none are posted here?

I'd like to get a list of A4LD problems whether they're fixed or not.
Jim, Fordman here. I tried to answer some of the questions for the guys. While I dont know everything, I have a bit of experience with the A4LD's both in my own shop and the stealerships. I can help guide the diognosis along.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HEy Fordman... After I rebuilt the A4LD in the 94 'Sploder, it holds second a lot longer than I like. I did a complete disassebly of the valve body and all that went in it. Perhaps re-adjusting the bands will fix this? Other than that, its a fun beast to drive.

I WILL note, that I have never rebuilt any automatic trans before. I had some pics I found online for help.

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Make / Model
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
Transmission
Manual
well my a4ld had been rebuilt by aamco (dont go there) and about 10,000 miles down the road ovewrsrive gave out. after they denied to hod up their end of the warrenty i tore it apart and found the springs in the overdrive drum had bent. the snap ring that held the drum together had failed and the clutches inside had worn to nothing as they were constantly engaged. all this started to burn the fluid and burn the overdrive band. it will cost roughly 200 dollars to rebuild. I am now able to rebuild transmissions and if anybody would like to buy the afore mentioned tranny let me know

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals